Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Maximum number of partitions (Read 2509 times)
joao

Maximum number of partitions
Apr 7th, 2005 at 9:31am

Hello

First many thanks for your software.
Just a couple of question:

Is there a maximum number of partitions that you can attribute to a dataset? I'm stuck with 5... Is there a way around that?

I'm not really familliar with those kind of analysis, and I'm extremely confused by the possible differences between some of the models tested in PAML, and the ones in hyphy. Is there major differences between the 2 programs for similar models? I guess that the "branch-site" model ("B") from PAML is implemented in hyphy, but where? Or do we have to define it?

Thanks for your time.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Maximum number of partitions
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2005 at 10:34am

Dear joao,

Quote:
Hello

Is there a maximum number of partitions that you can attribute to a dataset? I'm stuck with 5... Is there a way around that?

There is no limit of the number of partitions attached to any given dataset. If you are working through the graphical interface, there is a limit that any given site can only belong to 4 partitions (i.e. partitions may overlap, but not more than 4 deep).

Are you having trouble defining more than 5 partitions? If so I'd be interested to know how...

Quote:
I'm not really familliar with those kind of analysis, and I'm extremely confused by the possible differences between some of the models tested in PAML, and the ones in hyphy. Is there major differences between the 2 programs for similar models?

Take a look at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login - major differences are discussed in the manuscript there (pgs 16-17). If you have questions about a specific model, I'll be happy to elaborate.

Quote:
I guess that the "branch-site" model ("B") from PAML is implemented in hyphy, but where? Or do we have to define it?

Thanks for your time.

HyPhy does not include predefined analyses to implement the branch-site models by Yang and Nielsen. It defines model a-la Yang 1998 (i.e. branch specific selection) - details in Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login and some others. It wouldn't be too difficult to write a 'branch-site' model in the HyPhy batch language though - I can help you get started if you want.

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

konrad

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 8:46am

Further on this topic, what are the practical restrictions in terms of time and memory? How do these scale with nr of partitions, particularly when using codon models, and is there a rule of thumb recommendation for the maximum feasible number?

Konrad

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 10:10am

Dear Konrad,

[quote author=konrad  link=1112891487/0#2 date=1129736799]Further on this topic, what are the practical restrictions in terms of time and memory? How do these scale with nr of partitions, particularly when using codon models, and is there a rule of thumb recommendation for the maximum feasible number?
[/quote]

Each partition has its own tree with models/rate matrices/parameters (which you can constrain) etc. I have done some analyses with up to 10,000 (on two sequences) partitions in 1GB of RAM. Moreover, if you have access to an MPI cluster, you can use (an undocumented) MPIPARTITIONS command line flag to have HyPhy spread likelihood evaluations over multiple nodes (you need at least as many partitions as there are nodes).

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged