Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Neightbor Joining.bf crash in XP (Read 5500 times)
Antonio Carvajal-Rodrígue

Neightbor Joining.bf crash in XP
Apr 25th, 2005 at 2:31am

Hello, I am using a pentium 4 machine on XP. When running the Neightbor Joining.bf  script I get a crash. I think is due to some illegal address access in TreeMatrix2TreeString function or other related with the treenodes matrix but I am not sure.

Regards,
Antonio

IP Logged

Simon
Global Moderator

Simon's Very Bad Picture

San Diego, CA
Re: Neightbor Joining.bf crash in XP
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2005 at 10:25pm

Dear Antonio,

Firstly, thanks for letting us know about this, we really appreciate bug reports. Could you provide a little more information on your error? Your error probably stems from one of two sources:

1. On Windows, I have found that if you run certain analyses in a particular order, one can crash HyPhy. Does it crash when the neighbor joining is the first analysis you run?

2. Are the sequences names in your alignment 'clean'? HyPhy has some nice features that allow you to attach different models to different branches, at the cost of having a convention for sequence names. The easy way to check this is to load the data into HyPhy (File>Open>Open Data File), go into the Data>Name Display > Clean up sequence names, and then see if any sequences are renamed. Any usual characters ('.', '-') in the sequence names will be converted.

Best
Simon

Simon D.W. Frost, D.Phil.&&Senior Lecturer&&Department of Veterinary Medicine&&University of Cambridge
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Antonio Carvajal Rodrígue

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 2:14am

Dear Simon: to your first question the answer is yes, is the first analysis I run. To the second the answer is  again yes, the sequences names are clean indeed the bf crashes with example data you provide vg p51.nex and also with my data.

I hope this help and thank you very much for the program hyphy.

sincerely,
antonio

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 7:26am

Dear Antonio,

Quote:
Dear Simon: to your first question the answer is yes, is the first analysis I run. To the second the answer is  again yes, the sequences names are clean indeed the bf crashes with example data you provide vg p51.nex and also with my data.

Would you be kind enough to provide me with all analysis options (e.g. the distance measure) which lead to a crash on p51.nex?

It is very embarassing indeed to have the program crash on our own example data, so I would like to fix this ASAP.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 1:23am

Dear Sergei:
I just execute NeighborJoining.bf -> Distance formulae (but also crashes with full likelihood) -> nucleotide -> get the data (p51.nex) -> negative branches (also crashes with branch forced to 0) -> JC69

when execute fulllikelihood I make JC69 and fixed ratios and again crashes both with negative or forced0 branches.

I hope this help, if you want any other information please don't hesitate on ask it to me.

thankyou,
antonio

IP Logged

Simon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 11:55am

Dear Antonio,

I've managed to reproduce the bug; it appears to be specific to the Pentium 4 build. While this is being followed up, you should be able to use HYPHY-P3.EXE.

Best wishes
Simon

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 1:17pm

Dear Simon:
Yes, I have tried with the p3 version and it works perfectly.
Thankyou very much,
antonio

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #7 - May 11th, 2005 at 11:41am

Dear Antonio,

Quote:
Yes, I have tried with the p3 version and it works perfectly.

I have removed the P4 optimized binary from the distribution for the time-being. The crashes are probably due to some obscure bug that becomes fatal when the compiler optimizes for P4. I'll keep investigating...

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged