Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

HyPhy vs. PAML (Read 4085 times)
adk

HyPhy vs. PAML
May 10th, 2005 at 1:17pm

Hey Guys,

So here's a question: I've been comparing some output from HyPhy to PAML output, and for some reason things look very different. In particular it seems like branch lengths are very often shorter in HyPhy than in PAML.  To bench mark this I have been using the default (model = 0) settings of GY94 (in HyPhy) to PAML codeml output. I'm using the post_dNdS.bf file to parse branch lengths btw. Any insights?

cheers,
Andy

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: HyPhy vs. PAML
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2005 at 1:19pm

Dear Andy,

Quote:
Hey Guys,

So here's a question: I've been comparing some output from HyPhy to PAML output, and for some reason things look very different. In particular it seems like branch lengths are very often shorter in HyPhy than in PAML.  To bench mark this I have been using the default (model = 0) settings of GY94 (in HyPhy) to PAML codeml output. I'm using the post_dNdS.bf file to parse branch lengths btw. Any insights?

Could you send me the benchmark file and codeml output, so that I can see what's going on? I am guessing this is a scaling issue...

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2005 at 2:27pm

Dear Andy,

I looked at your example, and it is indeed a scaling issue. PAML output looks like

Note: Branch length is defined as number of nucleotide substitutions per codon (not per neucleotide site).

tree length =   0.50537

(1: 0.097822, 2: 0.095322, 3: 0.312227);

(mel: 0.097822, sim: 0.095322, yak: 0.312227);

HyPhy reports (mel:0.0307338,sim:0.0327225,yak:0.100553).

Effectively HyPhy branch lengths (substitutions per nucleotide site) are 1/3 of what PAML reports (substitutions per codon) site.

Other subtle difference could arise because HyPhy and PAML treat ambiguity data a bit differently as I recall.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

adk

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2005 at 2:37pm

Great Sergei! Where can I find out the details of how HyPhy deals wiwth ambiguous sites?

cheers,
Andy

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2005 at 2:46pm

Dear Andy,

Quote:
Great Sergei! Where can I find out the details of how HyPhy deals wiwth ambiguous sites?

cheers,
Andy

Pages 5-6 of Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login. Also, HyPhy includes ambiguities when counting base frequencies (by allocating 1/k count to each possible resolution).

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged