Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

comparing branch lengths among subclades in a tree (Read 1553 times)
cwheat
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

comparing branch lengths among subclades in a tree
Aug 23rd, 2005 at 10:58am

Hello. I have a large tree and I want to compare the branch lengths among three different clades. I currently have branch length outputs and I have run these through normal stats (pooling within each clade), and they are significant (parametric and non-parametric)- but, all of these branches are non-independent. So, could you tell me what you think is the best way to analyze such a dataset?

thanks

chris

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: comparing branch lengths among subclades in a
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 11:24am

Dear Chris,

Firstly, I assume that you have the sequence data as well, so you can run additional ML model fitting. Secondly, I surmise that you are interested in testing whether mean branch lengths differ between clades, or something along those lines?

In the context of formal hypothesis testing, you could try setting a constraint that the means of branch lengths over clades are the same, versus the general case of free model fitting and then using the LRT to test for significance. One can also similarly test whether mean pairwise distances between all leaves in a subtree are the same among two clades.

If this makes sense and answers part of your question, I can provide details of how this type of constraint can be set up in HyPhy.

Cheers,
Sergei

P.S. The analysis to compare MEAN branch lengths between two or more clades (non-nested) in a tree using an arbitrary nucleotide model can be downloaded from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login. The tree input for this file should have roots of the clades marked by CladeN (where N is a number), as in:

((a,b)Clade1, (c,d), (e,(f,g)) Clade2, h)
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2005 at 11:21am by Sergei »  

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged