Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Noncoding DNA (Read 2073 times)
Jennifer Knies

Noncoding DNA
Sep 1st, 2005 at 2:51pm

I'd like to run Data Monkey on some non coding DNA in order to select the best  fitting nucleotide substitution  model.  When I tried to do this, I received an error, alerting me to the prescence of stop codons in my sequence.  Is there a way to tell Data Monkey that my sequences are non coding in order to accomplish my goal?  Or do I have to try something else? Thanks!

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Noncoding DNA
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 3:36pm

Dear Jennifer,

There are three things you can try

(1). Run the model selection analysis on your machine using a HyPhy standard analysis. Choose Standard Analyses:Model Comparison:NucModelCompare.bf and use the following options for successive prompt
- Global
- Once
- Choose Data file and tree
- choose a file to save results to (make a new directory to contain this file, because HyPhy will write out 203 files with a model fit for every model it tries).

The best model will be printed at the end of the run (use the first printed model - it'll be the same one that Datamonkey would report).

(2). Use the ciliate genetic code (only one stop codon there: TGA) if you only have TAA or TAG stop codons
(3). Use a HyPhy standard analysis (Standard Analyses:DataFileTools:StripStopCodons.bf) to strip out stop codons before submitting to DataMonkey

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged