Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

command line usage and errors (Read 4006 times)
konrad

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

command line usage and errors
Oct 19th, 2005 at 8:41am

Hi, I've been trying out some HYPHY batch files from the linux command line (no GUI). Ultimately I want to be able to run simulation studies, so my aim is to learn how to use the existing functionality and how to set things up to run without user intervention. Below are some questions and crash reports.

regards,
Konrad

--------

1. What is the easiest way of incorporating one of the models in PositiveSelectionLI.bf into a script such as presented in the tutorials? Also, what is the easiest way of inferring and using an ML tree in such a script?

--------

2. On running PositiveSelectionLI.bf (the help documentation refers only to PositiveSelection.bf, which I do not find. One difference seems to be that the documented "single rate" option is not available - are the help files outdated?) I get an error after specifying the rate distribution:

Error:
Bad symbols in expression rate4Leaves'?
Current BL Command:Build Formula:rate4inodes=rate4Leaves'

Check errors.log for details on execution errors.

Check messages.log details of this run.
Segmentation fault

-------

3. On running SingleBreakpointRecomb.bf or SingleBreakpointRecomb-2.bf (what is the difference between these two?) I get an error after specifying the model I want to use:

Please type in the abbreviation for the model you want to use:GY94
Error:
Could not read batch file:TemplateBatchFiles/TemplateModels/TemplateBatchFiles/TemplateModels/GY94.md
l
Current BL Command:Select Template Model for {filteredData}

Segmentation fault

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: command line usage and errors
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 10:18am

[quote author=konrad  link=1129736474/0#0 date=1129736474]

1. What is the easiest way of incorporating one of the models in PositiveSelectionLI.bf into a script such as presented in the tutorials? Also, what is the easiest way of inferring and using an ML tree in such a script?

--------

2. On running PositiveSelectionLI.bf (the help documentation refers only to PositiveSelection.bf, which I do not find. One difference seems to be that the documented "single rate" option is not available - are the help files outdated?) I get an error after specifying the rate distribution:

Error:
Bad symbols in expression rate4Leaves'?
Current BL Command:Build Formula:rate4inodes=rate4Leaves'

Segmentation fault

-------

[/quote]

Standard analyses documentation is [b]very[/b] out-of-date (sadly). PositiveSelection.bf has been renamed to NielsenYang.bf and PositiveSelectioLI.bf is an experimental (unsuccessful) analysis to test for differential selection between leaves and internal nodes of a tree.

In terms of incorporating standard models.

You can use SelectModel (datafilter); to interactively select models defined in TemplateModels/ (models.lst holds the list of models presented to the user), or use the #include command to read in outboard file definitions.

NielsenYang.bf has a PopulateModelMatrix function to set the cells of a rate matrix (controlled by the modelType flag) and SetWDistribution () to set the distribution of \omega to one of the pre-defined ones. You might be better off copying NielsenYang.bf and modifying it directly if you want to use the same set of models.

[quote]

3. On running SingleBreakpointRecomb.bf or SingleBreakpointRecomb-2.bf (what is the difference between these two?) I get an error after specifying the model I want to use:

Please type in the abbreviation for the model you want to use:GY94
Error:
Could not read batch file:TemplateBatchFiles/TemplateModels/TemplateBatchFiles/TemplateModels/GY94.md
l
Current BL Command:Select Template Model for {filteredData}

Segmentation fault
[/quote]

'-2' again is an experimental analysis.

This seems like a BASEPATH issue again, try to rerun with BASEPATH=/pathtohyphy/ on the command line and see if this helps.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

konrad

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 6:22am

[quote author=Sergei  link=1129736474/0#1 date=1129742311]

NielsenYang.bf has a PopulateModelMatrix function to set the cells of a rate matrix (controlled by the modelType flag) and SetWDistribution () to set the distribution of \omega to one of the pre-defined ones. You might be better off copying NielsenYang.bf and modifying it directly if you want to use the same set of models.

[/quote]

The PopulateModelMatrix function seems odd: the modelType flag is set by chooseGeneticCode.def, where it is used to identify the genetic code. But in PopulateModelMatrix it seems to mean something else: kappa is only used for modelType = 2 and 3. I tested the behaviour by comparing with codeml: for universal code and modelType=0 I get different answers, but for yeast mt code and modelType=2 I get the same parameter estimates up to the 3rd or 4th decimal (I assume the difference is due to rounding or unimportant differences in the optimisation algorithms; I only checked the omega distribution parameters as kappa and branch lengths do not appear in the default output).

Any idea why this is?

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 1:13pm

Dear Konrad,
[quote author=konrad  link=1129736474/0#2 date=1130246542]

The modelType flag is set by chooseGeneticCode.def, where it is used to identify the genetic code. But in PopulateModelMatrix it seems to mean something else: kappa is only used for modelType = 2 and 3.

[/quote]

Before 'PopulateModelMatrix' is called, 'modelType' (I don't think PopulateModelMatrix uses 'modelFlag') is set by the user response to a dialog:

[code]ChoiceList (modelType,"Choose a model",1,SKIP_NONE,
                 "MG94 1x4","Muse-Gaut 94 model with 4(-1) nucleotide frequency parameters (intra-codon position independent).",
                 "MG94 3x4","Muse-Gaut 94 model with 12(-3) nucleotide frequency parameters (intra-codon position specific).",
                 "GY94 1x4","Goldman-Yang 94 model with 4(-1) nucleotide frequency parameters (intra-codon position independent).",
                 "GY94 3x4","Goldman-Yang 94 model with 12(-3) nucleotide frequency parameters (intra-codon position specific).",
                 "MG94 Custom 1x4", "Muse-Gaut 94 crossed with an arbitrary nucelotide substitution model with 4(-1) nucleotide frequency parameters (intra-codon position independent).",
                 "MG94 Custom 3x4", "Muse-Gaut 94 crossed with an arbitrary nucelotide substitution model with 12(-3) nucleotide frequency parameters (intra-codon position specific)."
); [/code]

Since selection is zero based, you will see that agreement with PAML (which uses GY94 for most analysis) is only to be expected for [tt]modelType == 2[/tt] or [tt]modelType == 3[/tt].

Sorry for my undocumented code. Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

konrad

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 5:09am

My mistake - I replaced all the ChoiceList statements with hardcoded behaviour, but didn't realise at the time that modelType was used by populateModelMatrix. I then forgot about it and on looking for where modelType was instantiated could only find the unrelated instance created by chooseGeneticCode. I should have looked at the original code before posting.

My output now agrees with codeml.

Thanks,
Konrad

WWW WWW  
IP Logged