YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

MG vs GY (Read 1665 times)
konrad

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

MG vs GY
Oct 28th, 2005 at 7:04am

Hi,

I was surprised to find that the MG model (modelType = 1 in NielsenYang.bf) runs more than twice as fast as the GY model (modelType = 3) on an example analysis (1 hour 40 mins vs 4 hours). This seems strange because, if I understand it correctly, the GY model is a special case of the MG model, with the synonymous rate constrained to be constant, and should therefore have an easier optimisation task. Does this sound believable?

thanks,
Konrad

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: MG vs GY
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 7:27am

Dear Konrad,

In the context of NielsenYang.bf, all models have constant dS, and the differences between MG94 (classic MG94) and GY94 is that (1). GY corrects for transition/transversion bias (MG94 does not, but MG94custom x 010010 does, and it can correct for other nucleotide biases with the appropriate options) and (2). GY considers rates to be proportional to the frequency of the target codon, whilst MG assumes that they are proportional to the frequencey of the target nucleotide.

I am not sure why the run times are that different - it may have to do with guessing the starting point, and perhaps affecting the rate of convergence in the omega distribution parameters.

If you want to model dS and dN variation jointly, check out CodonSelectionAnalyses:dNdSRateAnalysis.bf

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged