jaume
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tipdate
Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:23am

Hi!
I am trying to use the batch file datedtipsmolecularclock.bf

A couple of questions:

1) Format to include dates in sequence names. Decimals are not allowed in hyphy (ie, 90.23). How can be included ? any particular advice for including dates in seq. names ?

2) I get this line in the output "Substitution rate estimated at 0 subs per unit time per site".   It is always 0 regardless of data set used. Is it a bug ?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

-Jaume

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Tipdate
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 9:58am

Dear Jaume,

1). HyPhy doesn't like '.' in sequence names for technical (programming) reasons. One way to circumvent this is to simply multiply all the dates by an appropriate power of 10 to get rid of the decimals (e.g. 90.23 -> 9023) and remember to do the backconversion on the output. Another option is that I could modify dated...bf to take dates from branch lengths (and not tip names) included in the tree - this will allow decimals directly. Let me know if you'd like this done.

2). The '0' rate estimate is probably a bug in the output. I'll look into it and get back to you ASAP.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

jaume
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 2:26pm

Sergei,

Thank you for the advice! I'll apply it. Though I am not sure about the option of allowing dates in branch lenghts.
I'd also be interested in choosing alternative codon models other than the standard ones from the menu. Is it possible ?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

-Jaume

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 5:15pm

Dear Jaume,

Quote:
I'd also be interested in choosing alternative codon models other than the standard ones from the menu. Is it possible ?

I fixed the 0 substitution rate bug (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login).

Which codon models did you have in mind? You can always add your own models to those in the 'Standard' list which pops up. That's probably easiest. If you tell me which model you want to try, I can write a little step-by-step tutorial for how to add such a model to the list.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

jaume
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 12:33pm

Thanks for taking care of the bug!  To obtain comparable substitution rates as those estimated from Tipdate, I divide Hyphy's substitution rate by the ClockTree_Scaler parameter. How could I estimate confidence intervals for the substitution rate?

I'd like to try scoring for different subsets of the substitutions and of the data. For instance, only synonymous transitions at 4fold or at 2fold degenerate sites, ... This is what I was referring to for codon models. I'd be interested in including them in the options.

Thanks again for your help !!

Cheers,

-Jaume

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 12:59pm

Dear Jaume,

Quote:
Thanks for taking care of the bug!  To obtain comparable substitution rates as those estimated from Tipdate, I divide Hyphy's substitution rate by the ClockTree_Scaler parameter. How could I estimate confidence intervals for the substitution rate?

You can add a CovarianceMatrix (see documentation about the options) to obtain 95% profile likelihood confidence interval on any of the model parameters. Let me know if you need assistance setting this up.

Quote:
I'd like to try scoring for different subsets of the substitutions and of the data. For instance, only synonymous transitions at 4fold or at 2fold degenerate sites, ... This is what I was referring to for codon models. I'd be interested in including them in the options.

I am not sure you can do this type of comparison with codon models - they don't really support the notion of 4-fold or 2-fold synonymous sites; rather all synonymous substitutions etc. Have you tried doing the analysis with synonymous rates only for a 'local' (separate dS and dN for each branch) codon model? This is probably more general than only looking at subset of synonymous substitutions. Of course you could always extract the type of sites you want from your data (e.g. 4-fold 3rd codon positions) and fit nucleotide models to this subset, but I'd recommend doing synRate clock first with a proper codon model.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

jaume
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 1:06pm

Dear Sergei,

When choosing Local parameters in the Model options I get this in the message log {for all tips and nodes}:

"Using model HKY85Model for definition of  Node4
Can't assign branch length, since the matrix of  Node4 depends on more than one (or none) independent parameters
"

The popup message says:
"Invalid string argument 'dtConstrainString' ...."

Are constrains not allowed in this batch file?

Any suggestions?

-Jaume

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 7:11am

Dear Jaume,

Quote:
When choosing Local parameters in the Model options I get this in the message log {for all tips and nodes}:

"Using model HKY85Model for definition of  Node4
Can't assign branch length, since the matrix of  Node4 depends on more than one (or none) independent parameters
"

The popup message says:
"Invalid string argument 'dtConstrainString' ...."

Are constrains not allowed in this batch file?

Any suggestions?

Sadly, the current implementation of the method does not allow local rates properly (it could, I just didn't implement it). Effectively, if you have multiple parameters per branch, it is difficult to decouple their contribution to the branch lengths without knowing something else. Imagine for example, that you allow transition (t) and transversion (v) rates. Then your branch length will be a linear combination of the two: B = a_1*t + a_2*v, where a_1 and a_2 are functions of base frequencies. If you then want to constrain the branch length B to be something measured in units of time (as TipDate does), you can't easily solve for rates, because you get a whole line of solutions: t = (B-a_2*v)/a_1.

Of course, the error message you got was not very informative - sorry about that.

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged