Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Different p-values for Fst in newest version (Read 3220 times)
Jon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Different p-values for Fst in newest version
Apr 20th, 2006 at 6:00am

Dear hyphy developers,

I noticed that when bootstraping to test if Fst values are different from zero in compartmentilization analysis, the newest version of HYPHY (0.9920060327) forces Fst values to be positive ???.

In contrast, previous version (0.9920050429) allowed Fst values to be negative (which sometimes indeed happen in real life due to sampling effect, even though theoretically Fst can not less than zero).

As a result, p-values for the same Fst value obtained from the two different HYPHY versions are very different (the old version allowing for negative Fst seems to give more plausible results; as well as much nicer curves of cumulative probability Roll Eyes).

Is there a reason to force bootstrapped Fst values to be greater than zero  ???

regards,

Jon

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Different p-values for Fst in newest version
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 10:39am

Dear Jon,

There haven't been any modifications to the F_st analysis since last October - I am a bit surprised that you are getting different results. It could have something to do with the way distances (and especially ambiguities) are counted.

Could you e-mail me (help AT datamonkey org) the file which is giving odd results and the listing of old results (if you have them) - I'd like to trouble shoot this.

Thanks,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Different p-values for Fst in newest version
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2006 at 6:15pm

Dear Jon,

There was a bug in the way new F_st was permuting sequence groups (note that F_st values themselves were being computed correctly). This bug was fixed in the 0.9920060524 build. Thanks so much for pointing out the issue.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged