Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

benchmarks - ppc slow? (Read 3332 times)
blackrim
YaBB Newbies

benchmarks - ppc slow?
Apr 26th, 2006 at 10:51pm

I have been testing a few of the lab computers with the speedtest and speedtest_2 batch files and have noticed that the macs are slow. has anyone else noticed this?
here is what i have found so far
cpu                           speedtest         speedtest_2
mac(2*2ghz)MP           14                       123
mac(2*2.5ghz)MP        12                       117
linux(pentiumM 2.0)SP 12                        85
linux(athlon 2.4ghz)SP 10                       80
linux(athlon 2.0ghz)SP 14                       94

the linux ones were compiled from source and macs are binary. but check out the SP vs. MP! I have noticed this with the macs and Java but had not noticed this with c++. i am going to test some c benchmarks now, but as it stands now, our lab will be running linux.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: benchmarks - ppc slow?
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 1:22am

Dear Blackrim,

It probably doesn't matter this much anymore, since Apple has moved to Intel:)
My Dual Interl Core iMac (x 1.83Ghz) got 13 (MP) or 21 (SP) on speedtest and 75 (MP) or 119 (SP) on speedtest2 .

Also, did you try the Universal Binary (gcc) or the older Mac distro (compiled with CodeWarrior, which is faster for PPC)?

Those are nice run times for the linux boxes; did you use gcc or do you have better compilers (e.g. Intel or Portland Group)? Generally, I found Opterons/Xeons/G5s to be fairly comparable in terms of benchmarks (at least within reason, when one corrects for clock speed differences).

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

blackrim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 8:09am

the reason there are no MP linux benchmarks in my list is because I can't get the MP compiled versions to use both processors (on a dual proc computer) or both cores (on my dual core computer).
any thoughts? I am simply doing the build.sh MP, and it compiles fine, but when I run it it runs identically to the SP one and I monitor the processors and they show only one being used.
let me know what you think.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 8:58am

Dear blackrim,

Quote:
the reason there are no MP linux benchmarks in my list is because I can't get the MP compiled versions to use both processors (on a dual proc computer) or both cores (on my dual core computer).
any thoughts? I am simply doing the build.sh MP, and it compiles fine, but when I run it it runs identically to the SP one and I monitor the processors and they show only one being used.
let me know what you think.

Try

Code:
$./HYPHYMP CPU=2

This will spawn 2 threads (you can put 4 instead of 2 if you have dual dual cores). HyPhy does not automatically start multiple threads when you are using a command line version; that number has to be specified upon invokation.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

blackrim
YaBB Newbies