Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Tree Comparison (Read 2036 times)
Nick Gundrum

Tree Comparison
Jul 14th, 2006 at 1:25pm

I am interested in comparing  phylogenetic trees from two sets of organisms.  When I was working with Hy-Phy I noticed that there is a feature in the Tree menu called "Tree Comparison"

My Question is, how is this function used, and could I use it to compare two different trees not from the same set of organisms? 

If anyone could answer this, that would be very helpful.  Thanks

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Tree Comparison
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 1:35pm

Dear Nick,

"Tree comparison" in HyPhy assumes that both trees have the same set of tip labels, so it doesn't directly apply to comparing trees from two different organisms.

There are several things you could try (for general trees)

1). Compute some tree statistics (the asymmetry indices) using Tree->Additional Tools->Tree Statistics

2). Investigate branching patterns using Stochastic Context Free Grammars (like it was done in http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/22/4/905). Art and I have implemented some (yet) undocumented SCFG code in HyPhy, so it can be used to compare the grammars induced by each of the trees. If you are interested, I can post some sample HyPhy batch language code and an updated HyPhy build which enables you to do that.

If you have a specific objective for tree comparison in mind, let me know, and I may be able to give you further advice.

Cheers,
Sergei
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2006 at 8:26pm by Sergei »  

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged