Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

calculate standard errors for dN and dS (Read 3227 times)
Jeff
YaBB Newbies

HyPhy Junkie

calculate standard errors for dN and dS
Jan 10th, 2007 at 2:20pm

Hi Sergei,

I am interested in estimating the errors associated with the dN and dS values that are reported by post_sns.bf.  I think I know how to do it, but I have some questions.

Because the dS and synRate trees are exactly proportional, it seems dS for any branch can be calculated by multiplying the branch's synRate by a constant.

dS = C x synRate

Is this the case?  Should these values really be so simply correlated (I am using the MG94W9 codon model with local parameters).

If the above formula is correct, then I think this means that the error associated with dS can be calculated by multiplying the error for synRate by the same constant.  And the error for synRate can be obtained by taking the square root of the variance in synRate (which I am estimating by nonparametric boostrap).  Thus:

error_dS = C x sqrt(variance_synRate)

Does this sound about right to you?

Thanks!
Jeff

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: calculate standard errors for dN and dS
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 9:54pm

Dear Jeff,

You are nearly correct, but the 'C' constant will depend on other model parameters (base frequencies, transition/transversion frequencies, etc) which vary from replicate to replicate. The most rigorous way to compute what you want is to directly compute dS (dN) for each replicate, hence incorporating data dependance - you need to modify the bootstrap batch code for that (but it's not hard to do). What you are suggesting (using a constant 'C') is probably not going to be too far off, unless the data set has few sequences (and the variance in C is substantial).

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Jeff
YaBB Newbies

HyPhy Junkie

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 2:02am

Dear Sergei,

Yes, that makes sense.  The C value should change from replicate to replicate and this variance needs to be accounted for.  I'll have a look at the bootstrapping code and see what I can do.

Thanks!
Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff
YaBB Newbies

HyPhy Junkie

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 6:23am

Hi Sergei,

The BS output file lists branch synRates, nonSynRates, TotalBrLens, SynBrLens, and NonSynBrLens for each BS replicate.  What I want are the branchwise dN and dS values for each replicate.   Are these dN and dS values already available in any of the data matrices generated by simplebootstrap.bf, or will I have to get calculate them?

If I do have to calculate dS, I think I need to multiply SynBrLen by # nucleotide sites and divide by # synonymous sites.  Similarly for dN.  Are these site numbers available already, or will I need to calculate these a la post_sns.bf?

Could I get the dN and dS values fore each replicate by simply including post_sns.bf in the simplebootstrap.bf file?

As you can tell, I am looking to cut some corners here.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 7:54am

Dear Jeff,

The easiest thing to do is output the numbers of synonymous/non-synonymous/total sites in each replicate as additional columns in the .csv file. I actually need this for another project, so I'll modify the file today and post a notice here...

[Part 2]. Just put up a new build, where the bootstrap analysis will also output the number of synonymous and ns sites for each bootstrap iterate into the .csv file it writes. Hence, to get dS and dN estimates (per branch or otherwise), you can rescale E[syn subs/site] by sites/syn sites and E[nonsyn subs/site] by sites/ns. sites

Cheers,
Sergei
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2007 at 11:45am by Sergei »  

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Jeff
YaBB Newbies

HyPhy Junkie

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 2:00pm

Looks great!  Thanks for your help yet again.

Jeff

IP Logged