Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Number of transitions and transversions (Read 1889 times)
kniesjennifer
YaBB Newbies

Number of transitions and transversions
Apr 27th, 2007 at 10:46am

Hi Sergei +Art,

My goal is to compare rate parameters for different partitions of a dataset and since the rate parameters for each partition are set to 1, I can not compare across partitions.  Is it possible to not set the AG rate to 1?

Alternately, is it possible to get the actual number of transitions and transversions estimated in a particular dataset.  Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks very much -
Jen
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2007 at 12:26pm by kniesjennifer »  

IP Logged

Art Poon
Global Moderator

Feed your monkey!

Re: Number of transitions and transversions
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 5:29pm

Dear Jen,

Howdy  Cheesy 

Although it's a fairly straight-forward matter to estimate different sets of nucleotide rates for different partitions of a data set, the rates are confounded with time.  Undecided  Branch lengths are therefore expressed in the expected number of A<->G substitutions (hence the 1).  However, to get a useful comparison of AG rates, you could compare the total length of trees estimated for each partition as a proximate measure of variation among partitions in substitution rates, which assumes that those partitions (residing on a common sequence) are beholden to the same evolutionary history.

You can obtain the inferred total counts of transitions and transverions by extracting the reconstructed ancestral sequences.  I've done this for codon substitutions, but I don't have a batch file that handles this on a nucleotide level.  I could probably throw something together, though.  Lemme have a look.

Hasta,
- Art.

IP Logged