Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Different dN/dS ratios (Read 6413 times)
KBR
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Different dN/dS ratios
Oct 8th, 2007 at 5:53am

Hi
I hope you can help me or explain to me that I am observing.

I have calculated the number of synonymous and non-synonymous substitutions by nei-gojobori method in MEGA. I can see that the dN is 9.9 and the dS is 8.1...I would therefore expect the ratio to be 1.22 (1000 bootstraps...dataset of 204 sequences). However, when I calculate the dN/dS by HyPhy on the same dataset using the SLAC method in the Quickselectiondetection.bf I get a ratio of 0.529. I do believe that the 0.529 is correct because other methods have given the same result. Why is this difference???
I wanted to use the MEGA dN and dS values to make a graph to illustrate the number of dN and dS substitutions per site.

Is there maybe somewhere in HyPhy quickselection.bf that I can fint the dN and dS values with standard error values or is it OK to use the values that I have got from MEGA???

I am in urgent need for help..and dont understand much about this myself....I'm trying Smiley

Karoline

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Different dN/dS ratios
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 7:54am

Dear Karoline,

You may find section 1.4.3 of Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login useful. It also provides a standard analysis which computes dN and dS from an alignment.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

KBR
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:05am

Thank you. I will have a look at it.
But could you please tell me why I see the difference?

and..I can not find the dSdN.bf in my HyPhy program

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 12:54pm

Dear Karoline,

There are many possibilities as to why you see a difference. For example, traditional NG (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login) does not at all account for transition/transverion biases. Generally speaking there is no reason to use NG for dN and dS estimation - there are too many assumptions which we know to be false built into the method.

dNdS.bf is an option under Standard Analyses -> Miscellaneous -> Phylohandbook.bf

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged