HomeHelpSearchLogin  

dN/dS Basics...? (Read 2962 times)
Eric
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

dN/dS Basics...?
Dec 13th, 2007 at 10:08am

Hi,

I am NOT a bioinformatician, nor a statistician, nor a molecular evolution guru, so please go easy on me  Smiley -- these may well be dumb questions with obvious answers.

I have what I would guess to be a somewhat unusual situation for this board: I have done some evolution experiments in which defined CLONES of small DNA viruses were inoculated into hosts and then passaged over a period of time.  Virus DNA was then isolated and cloned, and a small number (eleven) of complete 2.7 Kb genomes were sequenced.  All in all, the data set includes 41 unique point mutations.

i.e. I know exactly what the ancestral sequence(s) were, and I can define each and every mutation precisely

First question:
Is there a relatively simple/easy-to-use application out there that will tell me what the expected dN/dS should be given:
a) a known input sequence,
b) specified frequencies for each of the 12 possible mutation types (i.e. A->C, A->G, A->T, C->A, C->G, etc.),
c) the assumption of neutral drift (i.e. neither "positive" nor "purifying" selection)
d) the assumption that each position is equally likely to become mutated?

- I would like to do a chi-squared test to determine whether my observed dN/dS is significantly different from what I would expect to see in the absence of selection.

Which brings me to my second question:

How/why does everyone seem to assume that:
dN/dS > 1 means positive selection,
dN/dS = 1 means no selection,
dN/dS < 1 means purifying selection ?

What I mean is, does it really work out such that random mutations in a "typical" coding sequence result in an equal number of synonymous and non-synonymous mutations..?!?  Even though the first position almost certainly results in a non-synonymous mutation, while at the other two positions it usually results in synonymous mutation?  Surely we would expect a dN/dS closer to 1/3 in the absence of selection?

I'd really appreciate some help/insight on either of these two questions (preferably both!)

Eric

IP Logged

Art Poon
Global Moderator

Feed your monkey!

Re: dN/dS Basics...?
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 3:30pm

Hi Eric,

You can evaluate whether your observed dN/dS is significantly different from a neutral null hypothesis, but the Datamonkey server --- designed to detect site-specific levels of positive selection --- wouldn't be quite appropriate given your situation, i.e., limited sample size (N=11) and fewer mutations per site (41 point mutations among 2.7kB sites). 

I would parameterize a model of nucleotide substitution rates (given the amount of data I would collate your substitutions into a smaller number of rate classes, such as two for transitions and transversions, e.g. HKY85) and apply this model to your ancestral sequence in order to generate a null distribution of non-synonymous and synonymous substitutions.  Then you can compare your observed ratio and determine whether you can reject your null model, i.e. that neutral evolution is insufficient to explain your data.

Regarding your other questions:
- Bear in mind that dN and dS are scaled by the expected number of nonsynonymous or synonymous substitutions at a given codon site, respectively.  In other words, the varying levels of redundancy at different positions of different codons is already taken into account in computing dN and dS.
- "Everyone" assumes that dN/dS > 1 indicates positive selection because it suggests that the replacement of one amino acid for another "matters"; an elevated rate of replacement suggests that divergent environments favor different amino acids in different linages.

Best,
- Art.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: dN/dS Basics...?
Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 3:35pm

Dear Eric,

To add to Art's response, take a look at the first few pages of Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login for an introduction on dN/dS estimation, rationale and basic intuition.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged