Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

compiling MPI version on Mac OS (Read 3448 times)
Mike
YaBB Newbies

Spain
compiling MPI version on Mac OS
Jan 15th, 2008 at 7:23am

Greetings - I'm trying to compile an MPI version of hyphy so I can try the GABranch test.  I plan to run it on an 8-core Mac with OS 10.4. I installed mpich using MacPorts and then edited the build.sh script so it could find the header files.  I added -I/op
t/local/include/mpich2 to the COMPILER_FLAGS variable.  Now I get an error during linking that I don't know how to fix:

Linking HYPHYMPI
g++ -w -fsigned-char -o HYPHYMPI obj_MPI/HYNetInterface.cpp.o obj_MPI/Net.cpp.o obj_MPI/attach.c.o obj_MPI/auth.c.o obj_MPI/baseobj.cpp.o obj_MPI/batchlan.cpp.o obj_MPI/batchlan2.cpp.o obj_MPI/bgm.cpp.o obj_MPI/btree.c.o obj_MPI/btree_rb.c.o obj_MPI/build.c.o obj_MPI/calcnode.cpp.o obj_MPI/category.cpp.o obj_MPI/copy.c.o obj_MPI/delete.c.o obj_MPI/error.cpp.o obj_MPI/expr.c.o obj_MPI/fisher_exact.cpp.o obj_MPI/func.c.o obj_MPI/hash.c.o obj_MPI/hyphyunixutils.cpp.o obj_MPI/insert.c.o obj_MPI/likefunc.cpp.o obj_MPI/list.cpp.o obj_MPI/main-unix.cxx.o obj_MPI/main.c.o obj_MPI/matrix.cpp.o obj_MPI/nexus.cpp.o obj_MPI/opcodes.c.o obj_MPI/os.c.o obj_MPI/pager.c.o obj_MPI/parse.c.o obj_MPI/parser.cpp.o obj_MPI/parser2.cpp.o obj_MPI/polynoml.cpp.o obj_MPI/pragma.c.o obj_MPI/printf.c.o obj_MPI/random.c.o obj_MPI/regex.cpp.o obj_MPI/scfg.cpp.o obj_MPI/select.c.o obj_MPI/sequence.cpp.o obj_MPI/site.cpp.o obj_MPI/strings.cpp.o obj_MPI/table.c.o obj_MPI/tokenize.c.o obj_MPI/trigger.c.o obj_MPI/update.c.o obj_MPI/util.c.o obj_MPI/vacuum.c.o obj_MPI/vdbe.c.o obj_MPI/where.c.o -lssl -lcrypto -lcurl -lm -lmpich
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lmpich

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Mike

mike012012  
IP Logged

Mike
YaBB Newbies

Spain
Re: compiling MPI version on Mac OS
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 9:33am

Aha!  In my thrashing around, I successfully compiled it using openmpi instead of mpich.  I edited the build script to use the openmpi compiler wrappers and also had to remove the -lmpich linker flag.
cheers
Mike

mike012012  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 12:47pm

Dear Mike,

Thanks for reporting the problem and a workaround!

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

krish
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2008 at 3:23am

Mike wrote on Jan 15th, 2008 at 9:33am:
Aha!  In my thrashing around, I successfully compiled it using openmpi instead of mpich.  I edited the build script to use the openmpi compiler wrappers and also had to remove the -lmpich linker flag.
cheers
Mike

Dear Mike,

I am trying to compile the MPI version on my Mac. Can you please tell me in layman's terms how to do the above?

Thanks,
Vijay

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2008 at 10:58am

Dear Vijay,

Try this build script (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login)
Drop it into the HyPhy source directory and type

$sh build.sh MPI

This works on OS X Leopard with OpenMPI installed.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Art Poon
Global Moderator

Feed your monkey!

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2008 at 1:10pm

fyi, I've been helping out another user with compiling HYPHYMPI on their dual G5 and we ran into a little "bug" in the build script, where the newline character fails to escape in the echo statement being used to generate a curl testfile.
My crude workaround to this weird bug was simply splitting up the echo statement into two separate statements and foregoing escape characters altogether.

Cheers from watery BC,
- Art.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #6 - May 14th, 2008 at 8:19pm

Hey Art,

I noted the echo problem last week - should be fixed in the latest build.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged