Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

problems running GABranch (Read 5328 times)
Mike
YaBB Newbies

Spain
problems running GABranch
Jan 16th, 2008 at 2:26am

I successfully compiled an mpi version of hyphy and it appears to run but now I'm having some trouble getting the GABranch batch files to run properly.  hyphy seems to prompt twice for some questions, or perhaps is printing the text strings and waiting for user response out of order.  

I ran hyphy with this command:
openmpirun -np 8 /Users/mike/apps/hyphyjan2008/HYPHY_Source/HYPHYMPI BASEPATH=/Users/mike/apps/hyphyjan2008/HYPHY_Source /Users/mike/GABranchFiles/ModelSelectorBranchLocal.bf

and then hyphy printed the list of Genetic Codes, and waited for user input, but did not ask to enter a code:

Code:
 Please choose an option (or press q to cancel selection):
/Users/mike/GABranchFiles/Codon file to analyze::
/Users/mike/laeatest/laea.fasta
/Users/mike/GABranchFiles/Codon file to analyze::
/Users/mike/laeatest/laea.fasta
/Users/mike/apps/hyphyjan2008/HYPHY_Source/TemplateBatchFiles/Please select a tree file for the data::
This doesn't seem to be a valid Newick string file. Can't find the opening parenthesis.
Had:Error:MPI Node:0
Node names should begin with a letter, a number, or an underscore. Had:>?Bofuc20320 Bofuc20320
----------
Current BL Command:Build Tree givenTree from string treeString

The third prompt seems to want a tree file, even though it asks for the codon file a second time.  Then it prints "Please select a tree file for the data" but does not wait for user input.  It prints the error shown above and then quits.  

The HYPHYMP version seems to work ok for me on the command line.  At least I have used it for phylogeny reconstruction using the standard analyses.  

mike012012  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: problems running GABranch
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 7:49pm

Dear Mike,

Quote:
hyphy seems to prompt twice for some questions, or perhaps is printing the text strings and waiting for user response out of order.  

HyPhy will prompt for data a second time if the first input could not be resolved into an existing pathname. This is a quirky feature for people like me who can't type without errors:)

Quote:
The third prompt seems to want a tree file, even though it asks for the codon file a second time.  Then it prints "Please select a tree file for the data" but does not wait for user input.  It prints the error shown above and then quits.  

Inputs should be processed in order, but sometimes MPI libraries buffer stdout from running processes and don't always show the last line or two (this could be why you are not seeing the prompt). Seems like HyPhy is taking the FASTA file as a tree input.

I would make a text file of all the inputs (one per line) and then pipe them in to HyPhy, e.g.

Code:
openmpirun -np 8 /Users/mike/apps/hyphyjan2008/HYPHY_Source/HYPHYMPI BASEPATH=/Users/mike/apps/hyphyjan2008/HYPHY_Source /Users/mike/GABranchFiles/ModelSelectorBranchLocal.bf < myInputs.txt

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Mike
YaBB Newbies

Spain
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 1:51am

Hi Sergei - Thanks for the tip.  I have it running now on the example lysozyme data set.  How does the population size affect the genetic algorithm?  I suppose that a smaller population would be more likely to stop at a suboptimal model?
Cheers
Mike

mike012012  
IP Logged

Mike
YaBB Newbies

Spain
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 3:54am

The job ran out of memory while I was running the lysozyme dataset.  I was keeping an eye on the processes and I think one of the processes was at around 2 GB when the job quit.  All the other processes had fairly small memory usage, so I think I was well below the limit of physical RAM (8 GB). As far as I know, there are know userspace limits on memory etc.  Any idea what's going on?
cheers
Mike

mike012012  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 7:08am

Dear Mike,

Were you piping the input in? If you were, then what happened is either

(1) There were not enough input lines (fewer than the number of prompts made by GABranch...)

(2) One of the inputs for multiple choice lists was rejected. If that is the case, HyPhy will re-prompt up to 10 times and could then consume later lines of input.

I would run the same analysis through the MP build (not MPI), where stdin and stdout work properly, and make sure that all the prompts are accounted for. If that doesn't work, I'll post an example input file for you to try.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Mike
YaBB Newbies

Spain
Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 3:02am

I set up the inputs in a text file and piped it to hyphy but  I must have had one of the lines wrong.  I used the MP version as you suggested, to debug the inputs and now it seems to be running ok.

mike012012  
IP Logged

zchou
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 9:48am

Hi Sergei,

I try to recompile the HYPHY by using the sh build.sh MPI, but I failed because the source files don't include the mpi.h.  I manual checked the source and don't find the mpi.h.  I download HyPhy at the yestoday moring. It should be the latest.  Can you check it? Thanks very much.

zhuocheng

+-----------------------------------------------------------+
|Building a single-threaded HYPHYKernelMPI for MPI          |
+-----------------------------------------------------------+
COMPILER=g++, gcc
COMPILER_FLAGS= -w -c -fsigned-char -fast -fpermissive -I/Users/zchou/HyPhy/HYPHY_Source/Source -I/Users/zchou/HyPhy/HYPHY_Source/Source/SQLite -D INTPTR_TYPE=long -D __UNIX__ -D __HYPHYMPI__
Building HYNetInterface.cpp
In file included from HYNetInterface.h:13,
                from HYNetInterface.cpp:9:
batchlan.h:361:18: error: mpi.h: No such file or directory

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 8:52pm

Dear zhuocheng,

mpi.h should be a part of the MPI distribution on your OS X system. HyPhy does not provide MPI libraries, they should be already installed on your system. Do a search on your /usr/ path and see where it is (could also be in /sw/ if you use Fink). You may then need to modify build.sh to list the mpi path as a -I directive.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged