HomeHelpSearchLogin  

data-dredging? (Read 2555 times)
sunilkalmadi
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

data-dredging?
Mar 21st, 2008 at 1:57pm

Dear Sergie,
   I have gone through hyphybook.pdf. I just wanted to know whether fitting local model for my tree and then looking for significance using testbranchDnDs.bf (or NeilsonYangbranchsite2005.bf) will account for data- dredging? please note i have my apriori branches fixed and are not selected looking at local model results. please suggest if there is any better alternative (other than GAbranch).

I would also like to know where can i find BranchApriori.bf in hyphy package?

Thanks!

Regards,
Sunil

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: data-dredging?
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 4:24pm

Dear Sunil,

BranchAPriori is an options when you run Miscellaneous->Phylonandbook.bf
You can also download it from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

Speaking of data dredging, you should NOT fit the local model, identify which branches have dN>dS and test those using other models. The test will be biased to find significance (because you use the same data to generate a hypothesis and then test it). One way to get around this is to use a low p-value (e.g. 0.05/number of branches); that would effectively enforce a Bonferroni correction as if you tested every single branch one at a time. Another is to use a GA, where you don't define what is your model a priori but simply let the GA find which ones fit well.

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

sunilkalmadi
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 5:21pm

Dear Sergei,
Thanks a lot for your suggestions..
I would also like to know.
1. How can I make GA use user tree ( newick string tree with branch lengths appended at end of phylip 3.2 datafile was not recognized by GA)?
1. Whether dn/ds for a particular branch obtained from GA can be considered as final or any more statistical testing is needed?
2. Whether the 'branch partition file' obtained from GA can be used for site wise selection analyses like nielsonyangbranchsite.bf(as tree file input)?

Regards,
Sunil

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 6:54am

Dear Sunil,

1. Try opening your alignment in HyPhy (File->Open->Open Data File) and see if the tree is recognized.
Two possibilities why your tree is not read are: some leaf names do not match sequence IDs, or that the tree is simply not recognized.

2. GA branch returns a model averaged confidence set of what the dN/dS for the branch may be. You should use this distribution, not a single dN/dS value.

3. Branch partition files are currently only recognized by Compartmentalization>BranchClassDNDS.bf. Nielsen-Yang's branch site methods are set up to only permit two partitions of branches (foreground and background). You can select which ones are in the foreground manually.

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

sunilkalmadi
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!