HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Molecular Clock (Read 1982 times)
luli
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Molecular Clock
Jul 10th, 2008 at 8:06am

Hi there,

I'd like to run a Molecular Clock analysis leaving just one branch free of the constraint. Is it possible to do that? Is there a batch file already incorporated?

Thanks!
Luli

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Molecular Clock
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 1:47pm

Dear Luli,

Your best bet is to do it through the graphical interface. Take a look at the section starting on page 22 of Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

Other parts of the linked text discuss more about setting up models and parameter constrains.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

luli
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 10:23am

Dear Sergei,

I folllowed your suggestion and I could use the graphical interface to impose local clocks to a subtree or particular node. However, what I really want to do is to impose a tree to all nodes but one. I mean only one node is free of the constraint and then to compare with a totally constrained tree. Do you get me?
It would be something similar to the rr batch file but for clock and not for relative test.

May be you could help me. Probably I would have to write a new batch file!

Thanks a lot,
luli

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:28am

Dear Luli,

I think I understand your objective, but unless I am mistaken, one has to be quite careful about how to remove the clock from a single node (branch). Consider a very simple tree

((human, chimp)hca, gorilla).

You can remove the clock from gorilla and keep the subtree rooted at hca clocklike, but if you remove the clock from human (or chimp), then you can't impose the clock on the rest of tree easily (at least not in the classical sense). Of course you could still have the constraint that chimp+hca = gorilla - is that what you have in mind?

You should be able do this in the interface; simply apply the clock to the entire tree and then un-constrain the branch that you want to be 'free' (select its row in the parameter table and use the eraser button to remove the constrain). This can sometimes fail as well, because HyPhy automatically chooses which branches to constrain and which one to use as free parameters, and your branch of interest may not be constrained. You should be able to get around that by swapping that branch and its sister branch in the tree viewer.

Give that a try and let me know what happens.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged