Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Leopard console text / SP source installation (Read 3021 times)
Aidan Budd
YaBB Newbies

Monkey fed...

Heidelberg, Germany
Leopard console text / SP source installation
Aug 15th, 2008 at 8:18am

Hi Sergei,

A few questions -

Firstly:
I've just upgraded my machine to run Leopard/Mac OS X 10.5, and I'm having some problems with HyPhy on the upgraded system (the machine is a 2x2.66 GHz Intel).

Firstly, the text that gets written to the log/console window tends to bunch up together on the left side, squeezing all the characters into the place taken usually by 10 characters (see image below). I've tried changing the setting for the console fonts, but it happens under each typeface and size I tried.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

I wondered if you've heard of this problem elsewhere and maybe have suggestions how to deal with this?

Secondly:
Even if this problem persists, it'd be fine if I could somehow pipe the text that appears in the console to a file I could read elsewhere, using a text editor. I've hunted around for a command or menu or something that will do this, but couldn't find out how to make this happen. Would be great if you could let me know if/how that's possible.

Thirdly:
I also had a go compiling the source code on this machine - despite being almost completely clueless about how such things work.

It doesn't compile - even though /usr/lib seems to contain the required libcurl, libssl, and libcrypto.

When I run build.sh, I get the following output - any suggestions (even very basic ones - I really have no clue what this stuff means, where even to begin trying to fix this) on how to deal with this much appreciated.

Best wishes

Aidan
Code:
mac-gibson18:HYPHY_Source budd$ bash build.sh SP
Darwin
Checking for curl
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libssl.dylib load command 8 unknown cmd field
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libcrypto.dylib load command 8 unknown cmd field
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libcurl.dylib load command 8 unknown cmd field
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libstdc++.dylib load command 8 unknown cmd field
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libSystem.dylib unknown flags (type) of section 6 (__TEXT,__literal16) in load command 0
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib unknown flags (type) of section 6 (__TEXT,__literal16) in load command 0
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Curl seems to be absent (setting up compiler options skip CURL code)
+--------------------------------------+
|Building a single threaded HYPHYKernel|
+--------------------------------------+
COMPILER=g++, gcc
COMPILER_FLAGS= -D __UNIX__ -w -c -fsigned-char -fast -fpermissive -I/Users/budd/Desktop/hyphy_source/HYPHY_Source/Source -I/Users/budd/Desktop/hyphy_source/HYPHY_Source/Source/SQLite -D INTPTR_TYPE=long  -D__HYPHY_NO_CURL__
Building HYNetInterface.cpp
Complete
Building Net.cpp
Complete
Building baseobj.cpp
Building SQLite file vdbe.c
Complete
Building SQLite file where.c
Complete
Linking HYPHY
g++ -w -fsigned-char -D__HYPHY_NO_CURL__ -o HYPHY obj_SP/HYNetInterface.cpp.o obj_SP/Net.cpp.o obj_SP/attach.c.o obj_SP/auth.c.o obj_SP/baseobj.cpp.o obj_SP/batchlan.cpp.o obj_SP/batchlan2.cpp.o obj_SP/bgm.cpp.o obj_SP/btree.c.o obj_SP/btree_rb.c.o obj_SP/build.c.o obj_SP/calcnode.cpp.o obj_SP/category.cpp.o obj_SP/copy.c.o obj_SP/delete.c.o obj_SP/error.cpp.o obj_SP/expr.c.o obj_SP/fisher_exact.cpp.o obj_SP/func.c.o obj_SP/hash.c.o obj_SP/hyphyunixutils.cpp.o obj_SP/insert.c.o obj_SP/likefunc.cpp.o obj_SP/list.cpp.o obj_SP/main-unix.cxx.o obj_SP/main.c.o obj_SP/matrix.cpp.o obj_SP/nexus.cpp.o obj_SP/opcodes.c.o obj_SP/os.c.o obj_SP/pager.c.o obj_SP/parse.c.o obj_SP/parser.cpp.o obj_SP/parser2.cpp.o obj_SP/polynoml.cpp.o obj_SP/pragma.c.o obj_SP/printf.c.o obj_SP/random.c.o obj_SP/regex.cpp.o obj_SP/scfg.cpp.o obj_SP/select.c.o obj_SP/sequence.cpp.o obj_SP/site.cpp.o obj_SP/strings.cpp.o obj_SP/table.c.o obj_SP/tokenize.c.o obj_SP/trigger.c.o obj_SP/update.c.o obj_SP/util.c.o obj_SP/vacuum.c.o obj_SP/vdbe.c.o obj_SP/where.c.o -lm
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libm.dylib unknown flags (type) of section 6 (__TEXT,__literal16) in load command 0
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libstdc++.dylib load command 8 unknown cmd field
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libSystem.dylib unknown flags (type) of section 6 (__TEXT,__literal16) in load command 0
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib unknown flags (type) of section 6 (__TEXT,__literal16) in load command 0
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Finished

Aidan Budd&&Computational Biologist&&EMBL Heideberg, Germany

IP Logged

Aidan Budd
YaBB Newbies

Monkey fed...

Heidelberg, Germany
Re: Leopard console text / SP source installation
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 2:41am

So far no luck compiling HyPhy from source on Leopard, or in convincing it to write the text that goes to the console into an external file.

But - the problem with the text becoming unreadable as shown in the graphic in my previous post - I've at least found a way to work around this issue.

Not a proper solution, but in case anyone else out there has these kinds of problems, I found that simply slightly re-sizing the window causes the text to be correctly displayed (at least until the scroll bar is used again).

Aidan

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 7:52am

Dear Aidan,

Sorry, I missed your original post somehow!

The text blurring bug appeared in OS X.4; it has something to do with stock tools used to render text using OS widgets. As you discovered on your own, you can fix the issue by resizing the console. I'll check the text function programming reference again and see if there is anything I can do to rectify the problem.

As far as compile time errors go, he ones you report are new to me. I haven't seen these linker messages before. Can you compile trivial programs like:

Code:
#include <stdout.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
     printf ("Hello world\n");
     return 0;
}

? It looks like you may have a system wide linker issue, but let's check on a trivial program first.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Aidan Budd
YaBB Newbies

Monkey fed...

Heidelberg, Germany
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:50am

Ahem - thanks for your suggestion, Sergei - indeed, I'd not yet put the new version of Xcode Tools (3.1) onto my machine after upgrading to Leopard. Having done that, everything works fine with the installation of the command-line version.

Sorry to have missed such a simple error - thanks again for your help.

Aidan

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 10:00am

Dear Aidan,

Glad that it worked.
I am still not sure what is causing the blurred text in the console. I checked the most recent Apple Developer API for text rendering and could find nothing relevant. I'll see if I can force text layout updates when new text is printed to the console.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged