Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Could Datamonkey run Branch-site model like PAML? (Read 1980 times)
Sundy
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Could Datamonkey run Branch-site model like PAML?
Aug 26th, 2008 at 8:44pm

Hi all,
I am a new learner. I have a question: can datamonkey detect positive selection among both different sites and branches, as the branch-site model A in PAML?
If it can, which method can be used (SLAC, FEL, IFEL, REL, GA)? and how to label the specific branches I want to investigate?
My datasets have 35-60 sequences (3000-5000bp)
Thank you very much!
Sundy

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Could Datamonkey run Branch-site model like PAML?
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 9:48pm

Dear Sundy,

There is not a direct analogue of PAML's branch-site models on Datamonkey. The closest you can get is to use FEL on a subset of branches within HyPhy. This is discussed in section 2.5.2 of Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

As an aside, the reason we don't implement branch-site models is that their statistical behavior may be rather poor (i.e. false positives can be quite high); see section 1.5.2 of Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login for an example.

Hope this helps,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sundy
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:33am

Dear Sergei,
Thank you very much for your replay!
Sundy

IP Logged

Sundy
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:39pm

Dear Sergei,

Could I achieve my purpose by using IFEL model in Datamonkey web server? If I can, how can I define the specific branches I want to investigate? I learned that "IFEL can test sitewise selection on internal branches of the tree."
If what I understand is right, Datamonkey is essentially the same as HYPHY. But I think the web server is much more easier for me to use. I really don't know how to use HYPHY. I know the hyphyBook2007 is very good, but I just have few evolutionary knowledge. I still feel it is difficult to learn how to use HYPHY just by reading. If there are some kind of video, or someone can teach me aside, it may be better Sad
Thank you very much! 

Sundy

IP Logged