HomeHelpSearchLogin  

DirectionalREL.bf (Read 3777 times)
walter
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

DirectionalREL.bf
Oct 28th, 2008 at 7:24pm

Sergei,

I have used HyPhy for quite a while. I do not write batch files though. Simply use what you provide Smiley. Never had a problem like one I am writing about. When trying to execute DirectionalREL.bf, see the following messages (see the pictures). What's wrong? I use the same type of the data files as before: NEXUS or FASTA.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: DirectionalREL.bf
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 9:51pm

Dear walter,

DirectionalREL.bf expects a protein (not a codon) alignment. Could you verify that's what you were inputting?

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

walter
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 12:48am

Of course, I used an amino acid alignment. I even generated a nexus file from HyPhy and then used it as an input.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:34pm

Dear Walter,

Could you attach (or e-mail to me) the alignment file that causes DirectionalREL.bf to throw an error message so that I can reproduce the error and try to debug it? The error report suggests that HyPhy is reading your alignment as something other that proteins (this is why the incompatible dimensions error), and I am not sure why.

Also, which analysis options did you select for DirectionalREL.bf?

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

walter
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 8:06pm

Sergei,

The file is attached. Also, please note that there are similar problems with some other analyses (e.g., amino acid model test), although I have not tried all. One more: when I close the program window, I see a message: Program stops working.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login (83 KB | )

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 9:47pm

Dear Walter,

Hmm; looks like when you save a protein file from the HyPhy datapanel, HyPhy incorrectly generates the NEXUS header by claiming this to be a DNA datafile, e.g

Code:
FORMAT
		DATATYPE = DNA

GAP=-
		MISSING=?
	;

when of course DATATYPE=PROTEIN should be used. Thanks for pointing out this erroneous HyPhy behavior; I have fixed it in our development code already (this will be included in the next s/w release). If you edit the NEXUS file and change DNA to PROTEIN, the problem will disappear.

Before the next version of code is released, I would suggest doing this to avoid the issue: in the datapanel, make a partition using the entire dataset, and then click on the 'Save Partition To Disk' button to export the file (see sections 2.3.2 and 2.3.3 in Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login)

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged