Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

How to use CompareSelectivePressureVL.bf properly (Read 1781 times)
ben
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

How to use CompareSelectivePressureVL.bf properly
Nov 7th, 2008 at 1:11pm

Dear Sergei,

As you suggested based on your instruction, I tried to run "Standard Analyses >Psoitive Selection>CompareSelectivcePressureVL.bf" on two multiple alignments (two populations). but, I didn't find the sites evolving differentially at P <= 0.05. In order to confirm my result, I would like you to judge if my work is valid (there is no clear instruction for this):

1). Prepared two nex files with Pyphy, including nucleotide multiple alignments and inferred trees. Alignments were aligned by MEGA and tested on Datamonkey server (no stop codons) and trees were inferred by Neighbour-Join method with PyPhy

2). Modes for alignments are both 012232 (tested by Pyphy--NucModeCompare.bf).

Please let me know if something is wrong with my works!  If not, I have some questions for the result?

I also did SLAC, FEL, and IFEL on two populations and found that many sites under positive selection are different for two populations. And even the patterns of positive selection (P<0.05; SLAC, FEL and IFEL) are also different. How to explain it (plus no sites found evolving differentially at P <= 0.05 in two populations)?

Thanks!

Ben

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: How to use CompareSelectivePressureVL.bf properly
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 9:11am

Dear Ben,

The test you ran in HYPHY (Compare...IVL.bf) only tests for selection differential along internal tree branches. In individual alignment tests, the entire tree would have been considered. Thus, if most of non-synonymous evolution were localized in the tips of the tree, one could find the apparently discrepant results you saw. You can run another comparison test in HyPhy, but taking the entire tree into consideration, and see if this has an effect on the results.

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ben
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 9:07am

Dear Sergei,

Thank you for the resposne!  I did try to re-run my data using another comparison method: "CompareSelectivePressure.bf" and got the same results as one I run before. 

I have two questions: (if the approaches and methods I used are correct)

1). Does it mean that at population level, there is no differential selection between two populations?
2). How to explain the differences of selection patterns (eg. the sites  are positively selected differently by SLAC, FEL, IFEL when comparing two populations)? --- if it is within-hosts, transient subtitutions (in tracellular, intra-individual, etcs) are different in two populations?  or others!  Please give me more precise explainations!

Thanks!

Ben

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 10:03am

Dear Ben,
Quote:
1). Does it mean that at population level, there is no differential selection between two populations?

This means that there is not enough signal to detect differences in selective pressures at individual sites. Comparing lists of sites from SLAC/FEL/REL (or any other method) is suggestive, but not statistically rigorous. In all likelihood, there are differences between your populations, but a larger sample (or a more powerful statistical technique) is needed to discern them.

Quote:
2). How to explain the differences of selection patterns (eg. the sites  are positively selected differently by SLAC, FEL, IFEL when comparing two populations)? --- if it is within-hosts, transient subtitutions (in tracellular, intra-individual, etcs) are different in two populations?  or others!  Please give me more precise explainations!

I am not sure I understand your question, but see my response to point 1.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged