Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

HYPHY_GTK compiliation problem (Read 6216 times)
John B
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

HYPHY_GTK compiliation problem
Dec 1st, 2008 at 10:32am

Compiling the GTK binary fails at the linking stage.  Any ideas what might be up or what's missing?  The non-GTK version compiled fine.
Thanks
John

Linux florence 2.6.26-rc9 #1 SMP Mon Jul 7 13:58:23 BST 2008 x86_64
gcc/g++ 4.3.2 (Debian 4.3.2-1)

sh gtk_build.sh MP
Linux
Checking for curl
Curl seems to be present
+---------------------------------------+
|Building a multi-threaded HYPHYKernelMP|
+---------------------------------------+
COMPILER=g++, gcc
COMPILER_FLAGS= -w -c -O3 -D INTPTR_TYPE=long -fsigned-char -fpermissive -I/usr/local/genetics/HYPHY_Source/GUI -I/usr/local/genetics/HYPHY_Source/Source -I/usr/local/genetics/HYPHY_Source/Source/SQLite -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/pixman-1    -D GDK_PIXBUF_ENABLE_BACKEND -D __HYPHY_GTK__  -D __MP__
Building HYNetInterface.cpp
Complete
Building [everything else]cpp
Complete
Building preferences.cpp
Complete
Linking HYPHYMP_GTK
-lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -lssl -lcrypto -lcurl -lm -lpthread
g++ -w -fsigned-char -o HYPHYMP_GTK objGTK_MP/HYBaseGUI.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYButton.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYButtonBar.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYChartWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYCheckBox.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYComponent.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYConsoleWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYDBWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYDataPanel.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYDialogDefs.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYEventTypes.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYGraphicPane.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYLabel.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYModelWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYNetInterface.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYObjectInspector.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYParameterTable.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformBootsrapWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformButton.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformButtonBar.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformChartWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformCheckBox.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformComponent.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformConsoleWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformDBWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformDataPanel.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformGWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformGraphicPane.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformLabel.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformModelWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformPWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformParameterTable.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformPullDown.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformSequencePane.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformTWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformTable.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformTextBox.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformTreePanel.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformUtils.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPlatformWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYPullDown.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYSequencePanel.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYSharedMain.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYTable.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYTextBox.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYTreePanel.cpp.o objGTK_MP/HYWindow.cpp.o objGTK_MP/Net.cpp.o objGTK_MP/attach.c.o objGTK_MP/auth.c.o objGTK_MP/baseobj.cpp.o objGTK_MP/batchlan.cpp.o objGTK_MP/batchlan2.cpp.o objGTK_MP/bgm.cpp.o objGTK_MP/btree.c.o objGTK_MP/btree_rb.c.o objGTK_MP/build.c.o objGTK_MP/calcnode.cpp.o objGTK_MP/category.cpp.o objGTK_MP/copy.c.o objGTK_MP/delete.c.o objGTK_MP/error.cpp.o objGTK_MP/expr.c.o objGTK_MP/fisher_exact.cpp.o objGTK_MP/func.c.o objGTK_MP/hash.c.o objGTK_MP/hyphyunixutils.cpp.o objGTK_MP/insert.c.o objGTK_MP/likefunc.cpp.o objGTK_MP/list.cpp.o objGTK_MP/main-GTK.cxx.o objGTK_MP/main.c.o objGTK_MP/matrix.cpp.o objGTK_MP/nexus.cpp.o objGTK_MP/opcodes.c.o objGTK_MP/os.c.o objGTK_MP/pager.c.o objGTK_MP/parse.c.o objGTK_MP/parser.cpp.o objGTK_MP/parser2.cpp.o objGTK_MP/polynoml.cpp.o objGTK_MP/pragma.c.o objGTK_MP/preferences.cpp.o objGTK_MP/printf.c.o objGTK_MP/random.c.o objGTK_MP/regex.cpp.o objGTK_MP/scfg.cpp.o objGTK_MP/select.c.o objGTK_MP/sequence.cpp.o objGTK_MP/site.cpp.o objGTK_MP/strings.cpp.o objGTK_MP/table.c.o objGTK_MP/tokenize.c.o objGTK_MP/trigger.c.o objGTK_MP/update.c.o objGTK_MP/util.c.o objGTK_MP/vacuum.c.o objGTK_MP/vdbe.c.o objGTK_MP/where.c.o -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -lssl -lcrypto -lcurl -lm -lpthread
objGTK_MP/HYPlatformChartWindow.cpp.o: In function `_HYChartWindow::_SetMenuBar()':
HYPlatformChartWindow.cpp:(.text+0x8a5): undefined reference to `hyphy_menu_item_callback(void*, unsigned int, _GtkWidget*)'
objGTK_MP/HYPlatformChartWindow.cpp.o: In function `_HYDistributionChartWindow::_SetMenuBar()':
HYPlatformChartWindow.cpp:(.text+0xaed): undefined reference to `hyphy_menu_item_callback(void*, unsigned int, _GtkWidget*)'
objGTK_MP/HYPlatformChartWindow.cpp.o:(.data+0x40): undefined reference to `hyphy_menu_item_callback(void*, unsigned int, _GtkWidget*)'
objGTK_MP/HYPlatformChartWindow.cpp.o:(.data+0x70): undefined reference to `hyphy_menu_item_callback(void*, unsigned int, _GtkWidget*)'
objGTK_MP/HYPlatformChartWindow.cpp.o:(.data+0xa0): undefined reference to `hyphy_menu_item_callback(void*, unsigned int, _GtkWidget*)'
objGTK_MP/HYPlatformChartWindow.cpp.o:(.data+0x110): more undefined references to `hyphy_menu_item_callback(void*, unsigned int, _GtkWidget*)' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Finished

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: HYPHY_GTK compiliation problem
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:14am

Dear John,

Try compiling the latest SVN-tree version of HYPHY for GTK - I am not sure why you see the error you are getting. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login provides instructions for building from latest Source.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

John B
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 6:06am

Aha.  It might have been using the latest version, or updating nearly everything on the machine, but it was most probably using gcc-4.2/g++-4.2 instead of v4.3 that finally fixed this for me.
Thanks a lot,
John

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 7:57pm

Dear John,

Glad you worked the issue out. I'll make sure the code compiles with the latest gcc (which has become progressively more stringent).

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Danny
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 2:54pm

I had the same problem with gcc4.3.  The svn update didn't help.  I installed gcg4.2.4 from source, deleted all the .o files and it compiled with MP, and HYPHYMP_GTK brings up a window.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 1:03pm

Dear John,

Could you check the version of gtk on your system ( Code:
pkg-config --version gtk+-2.0 

)? I just compiled the latest SVN build without a problem using gcc4.3.2 and gtk 2.15 on CentOS Linux.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Danny
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 10:27pm

I seem to have had the same problem as John.

pkg-config --version gtk+-2.0

rpm -q gtk2-devel
gtk2-devel-2.14.7-1.fc10.i386

rpm -q gtk2
gtk2-2.14.7-1.fc10.i386

rpm -q gcc
gcc-4.3.2-7.i386

I got the same undefined reference to `hyphy_menu_item_callback(void*, unsigned int, _GtkWidget*) errors with the svn update.  I was able to compile with gcc 4.2.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 12:26pm

Dear Danny,

I will try to recreate the error and fix it if possible.
That's the joy of open source software -- correct versions mean everything.

Thanks for confirming the issue.

Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Peter Hayward
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 7:27am

Hi guys,

I can confim that compiling with gcc-4.2 and g++-4.2 does the trick. Note that on (K)Ubuntu9.04, and probably 8.10, gcc-4.3 and g++-4.3 is the default.

For those that don't know how this works.

1) Install gcc-4.2 and g++-4.2
2) Change the gtk-build.sh variables:
COMPILER="g++-4.2";
COMPILERC="gcc-4.2";

Now the linking works.

FYI, with gcc/g++ you have a linking error if you see this message:

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Finished

Regards

Peter Hayward&&&&MSc Student - Computer Science/Bioinformatics,&&Bioinformatics Group,&&Computer Science Division,&&Dept of Mathematical Sciences,&&Stellenbosch University
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 11:49am

Dear Peter,

I'll put gcc4.3 (and 4.4) on my cluster and check to see if the build breaks.

Thanks for posting the issue and the fix.

Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #10 - May 6th, 2009 at 2:04pm

Found and fixed the compilation bug.

SVN version 518 and above should build properly.

Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged