Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Co-evolution Detection Using Distance Matrices (Read 2217 times)
Andrew_Roth
YaBB Newbies

Co-evolution Detection Using Distance Matrices
Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:21pm

I am interested in trying to detect co-evolution between two sets of genes that are thought to interact. I have been reading the literature on this and it seems that the most popular method is to build distance matrices for each set of genes. The distance matrices can then be checked for correlations using a number of different metrics.

I was wondering if anyone has worked with this sort of problem and could shed some light on what the best distance measure would be to construct the matrices.

The most popular choice seems to be to use a simple distance based on sequence identity. The major problem with this method is that it can't distinguish correlations due to phylogeny versus those due to co-evolution.

I am contemplating using the dN/dS values as a distance measure since this might be a more reliable way to detect co-evolution. I would expect that strongly correlated dN/dS values would be indicative of genes evolving under similar selective regimes which is suggestive of co-evolution.

Does anyone agree with that, or is there be some more appropriate measure I should use?

Thank you for any help.

Andrew

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Co-evolution Detection Using Distance Matrices
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 5:12pm

Dear Andrew,

I think you have to be very careful about defining what is meant by co-evolution, e.g. is it simply that substitution rates will concurrently increase or drop in corresponding lineages of two gene trees, or is it that some parts of the genes will evolve in concert (e.g. compensatory changes) - there are a multitude of possible definitions.

I concur with your concern about the confounding of founder effects and co-evolution when using methods devoid of phylogenetic correction. The distance which is based solely on substitution counts seems somewhat outdated as well.

Have you explored the relative ratio test to examine concurrent rate changes in the lineages of genes? We have done a similar analysis on genes involved in a tumor suppression pathway using relative ratio tests on dN and dS (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login; Art Poon in our group here developed a number of methods (see datamonkey.org under the spidermonkey rubrik for details) that can map co-evolving sites in a gene - if your genes share the same phylogeny, you can conduct run the analysis on concatenated datasets.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

kevintz
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Re: Co-evolution Detection Using Distance Matrices
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 7:21am

host and pathogen coevolution is really interesting. I am working on microbiology, and always intent to find a way to touch on the field.
Thanks.

IP Logged