Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

graphical interface problem with Linux (Read 3467 times)
Beckett
YaBB Newbies

Bs As - Argentina
graphical interface problem with Linux
Feb 12th, 2009 at 11:31am

Hi! I´m a really newbie user of HyPhy and I´ve found that in my computer the program has a problem to run the graphical interface properly. Each time I try to open a data file with an alingment or a tree or other kind of graphic, the correponding window opens and the information is there (because it can be selected and all that), but I cannot see them. I use a 64bit Linux computer with Red Hat Fedora release 5.
I fuond another topic about a similar problem, but I couldn´t understand much of what was written there. I´m just learning this week to use HyPhy (with the help of the tutorial) and I know nothing of the programming language =S

If you could give me an idea of why I have this problem, or you could help me, I would be very thankful!

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: graphical interface problem with Linux
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 2:11pm

Dear Beckett,

The GUI version of HyPhy for Linux has not been tested very much, but I am not sure why you are seeing what you are seeing. Can you perhaps attach a screenshot, as I am not entirely certain what the symptoms are.

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Hiacynt
YaBB Newbies

Poland
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 1:18am

Dear Beckett,
While I do not know about this particular issue, I recall seeing similar problems elsewhere, and sometimes it was simply caused by the font used in the program being of identical color with the background. Try changing that under Edit->Settings.

IP Logged

Beckett
YaBB Newbies

Bs As - Argentina
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 5:58am

Dear Sergei, thanks for answering so fast!
Here I attach a screenshot as you asked me. There you can see many windows and which of them are the ones that present problems. The Console and the parameter tables are ok, but the graphics, the trees and the alignments do not appear... they are there because you can select them and work with them, but is as if they were invisible. Neither can I see the text in promps or small windows like those.

Dear Hiacynt, thank you very much for caring about my problem and for your advise. However, I think it´s more than the font colour, because when I change it with the "Toggle Coloring Mode" button or chossing to change the selection colour it makes no difference. I followed you advise, but unfortunately it seems to be a problem with the video or something like that.

Thank you very much for you replies!

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 11:27am

Dear Beckett,

This is very strange indeed (that only a part of the window is rendered). Could you check the color depth of your X-server? I've come across issues related to that. Set it to 24 bits if you can. I may ask you to run some diagnostic code for me, because at the moment I have no idea why you are seeing partially rendered windows!

Could you check the version of gtk+ that you have installed (use rpm or pkg-info) as well? I may try to install a VM with the same Linux/GTK combo here and see whether or not I can recreate the problem.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Beckett
YaBB Newbies

Bs As - Argentina
Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 1:15pm

Dear Sergei,

fortunately I could solve my problem and it will not be neccesary for you to take the trouble of recreating the problem. As you advised me in your last post I checked the color depth of my X-server and increased it. This solved all the problems with the GUI and now everything appears. =)
Sorry for bothering you with such a simple problem, but I´m a Linux newbie user as well =P

Thank you!

IP Logged