Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

dN dS for sites from different partsof phylogeny? (Read 2912 times)
Djm59
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

dN dS for sites from different partsof phylogeny?
Jul 10th, 2009 at 3:04am

Hi there,

I am a new user to Datamonkey (and more generally to molecular evloution) and like its flexible and user friendly intereface.

I am testing a hypothesis that selective constraints were altered within a specific lineage of a set of vertebrate orthologues. I have used GA-branch to establish that indeed, functional constraints were relaxed at the base of the lineage in question (marked and significant increase in dN/dS) and this seems to be ongoing in later branches.

I have used SLAC, FEL, REL approaches to identify selective pressures at different sites in the alignment as a whole, which identified a mass of sites under strong purifying selection. However, I really wish to know if I can identify constaints at sites in specific parts, or along particular branches of the phylogeny?, Is there any way that datamonkey can do this, or would I require the use of HyPhy software? I am pretty sure such analyses can be explored in PAML...

Alternatively, considering that I gained support with GA-branch for my original hypothesis, would a reasonable alternative be to use SLAC, REL etc with a codon alignment of orthologues solely from the lineage with suspected altered constraints and then just visually examine individual sites identified in the context of their phylogentic relationships?

I hope my naivity with molecular evolution is not too evident and thankyou very much for your help with this!  Cheesy

Regards

Dan

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re:  dN dS for sites from different partsof phylogeny?
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 8:26pm

Dear Dan,

You can do all of the test or exploratory analyses that you mentioned in HyPhy. Datamonkey is mostly built around 'stock' analyses that are frequently used.

I would suggest that you start by taking a look at the book chapter we wrote a little while ago - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login - that presents a fairly comprehensive overview of selection analyses in general and how to do them in HyPhy in particular. If your questions aren't answered by the chapter, please post a follow-up here and I will try to help you out.

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Djm59
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 8:01am

Dear Sergei,

Hi, and thanks for your quick response. I have the book chapter from the 'phylogentic handbook' 2009 edition and have found it most helpful in getting to grips with HyPhy.

I have a quick question though  Smiley

I have compared selective constraints between two clades in my phylogeny and their seperating branch using the selection LRT function, which gave me an interesting result. I now wish to examine site to site variation in rates specifically in the seperating branch and also in branches within one of the clades relative to background branches.

I would like to use a two rate FEL to explore this , but am unsure about the difference in 'subtree only' and 'custom subset' options. In the example provided for the data set (mammalsbirds.nex, which I cant find in any folders? It would be helpful to get this if possible?) it is not clear which option leads to the 'branch-site' type analysis to examine the specific node (seperating branch) in question.

Thus, in summary, I want to examine those specific sites with evidence of significant deviation from neutral selection in the seperating branch of interest- it would be great if you could just confirm to me which option will allow me to do this.

Thanks again and all the best

Dan Grin

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 8:59am

Dear Dan,

mammalsbirds.nex can be found at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

The subtree only option in FEL allows you to select an entire subtree, based on its root (i.e. all branches 'below' a given node), and the custom option allows you to select any branches you want.

A word of caution: there is generally very little power to detect site-specific selection at an individual site at a given branch.

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged