Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

gamma distribution in HyPhy (Read 2618 times)
laura
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

gamma distribution in HyPhy
Oct 30th, 2009 at 8:09am

I am a new user to HyPhy and a beginner in bioinformatics.  I am using HIV-1 gene sequences to find positive selection in primates lentivirus lineages (therefore,  I am looking for dN/dS ratios). I am currently working through the example, applying a codon model to integrase_BDA.nex, found in the article ‘HyPhy: Hypothesis Testing Using Phylogenies’ pg 21.  I was wondering if it was possible to include a gamma distribution variable during the procedure?

Many thanks for your time, Laura

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: gamma distribution in HyPhy
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 9:09am

Dear Laura,

You can indeed include the gamma (and a wealth of other distributions).

The easiest place to start is Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login - an online server to screen sequences for positive selection. You will find a lot of information and detailed worked-through examples focusing on positive selection detection in our book chapter on the topic, which can be downloaded from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

Hope this helps,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

leh123
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Re: gamma distribution in HyPhy
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 2:23am

Thanks for your reply - I have read the document you referred me to and it appears that the gamma distribution can be applied only on a site by site basis as opposed to on a branch by branch basis - is this correct?

IP Logged