Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

RerootTree disabeling? (Read 2667 times)
Markus
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

RerootTree disabeling?
Mar 4th, 2010 at 4:00am

Hello,
I am working on a 29 plant species data set. I run a codon model test in datamonkey and use the batch file to calculate the final tree in HyPhy. The codon data (nexus) file contains a tree topology which is to be used. However, the tree topology is changed in the final tree. In detail, the root taxon is placed in another cluster. This is frustrating because I want to map characters on the final tree and the main interest is on the reconstructed character state at the root of the tree. The message log tells me that the batchfile (or a procedure called therein) used RerootTree. Is there a way to disable RerootTree in the batchfile? I tried already RerootTree = 0 but got an error message.
Many thanks for your help,
Markus

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: RerootTree disabeling?
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 7:24am

Hi Markus,

Try changing

Code:
_DO_TREE_REBALANCE_ = 1;

to

Code:
_DO_TREE_REBALANCE_ = 0;

in the AnalyzeCodonData.bf file located inside TemplateBatchFiles (I assume this is the analysis you are running).

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Markus
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 1:20pm

That works. I realised that the batchfile from datamonkey calls the batchfile AnalyseCodonData.bf. I disabeled Do_Tree_Rebalance and now the analysis does not anymore "destroy" my topology.
Many thanks,
Markus

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 1:32pm

Hi Markus,

Markus wrote on Mar 4th, 2010 at 1:20pm:
That works. I realised that the batchfile from datamonkey calls the batchfile AnalyseCodonData.bf. I disabeled Do_Tree_Rebalance and now the analysis does not anymore "destroy" my topology.
Many thanks,
Markus

Glad it helped! HyPhy simply uses the fact that Log L under every rooting (assuming time-reversible) models is identical, and picks the best root placement to speed up likelihood evaluations, which are faster for "balanced" trees.

Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Markus
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 1:02am

Hi,
I see the rationale behind the rerooting procedure. But if the users inludes a tree (topology) he most likely wants the program to stick to it.? Wouldn't it be useful to automatically disable the rebalance procedure if the codon data file includes a tree? Or would this dramatically increase computation time in some cases (this was not the case with my data)?
Cheers,
Markus

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 6:32am

Hi Markus,

It's a good point, but you must also realize that HyPhy actually keeps the unrooted topology unchanged, and, as I pointed out, for the vast majority of inference (logL, parameter estimates, hypothesis testing), the results are identical, plus you can override the behavior. For those analyses where it matters (e.g. non-reversible models, molecular clock), the rooting is unchanged. The speed difference is not that noticeable by eye until you hit a large enough tree.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged