Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

evolutionaryfinger print (Read 2632 times)
Lauro
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

evolutionaryfinger print
Apr 28th, 2010 at 10:53am

Dear sergei,

Can you help me to interpret this results from your evolutionary fingerprint program, they are graphics of the same VSV gene in 2 different populations?

Regards,

Lauro

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login (28 KB | )

IP Logged

Art Poon
Global Moderator

Feed your monkey!

Re: evolutionaryfinger print
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 2:36pm

Hi Lauro,

beta is the scale of nonsynonymous substitution rates
alpha is the scale of synonymous substitution rates
evoBLAST is estimating how many rate classes there are for alpha and beta based on your data
Based on your first plot, evoBLAST determined that evolution in your alignment was best approximated by three bivariate rate categories (each made up of a nonsynonymous and synonymous substitution rate, values alpha and beta).  A dense cluster below the x=y line indicates that most sites are under purifying selection.  

Cheers,
- Art.

IP Logged

Art Poon
Global Moderator

Feed your monkey!

Re: evolutionaryfinger print
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 2:39pm

Also, one of three groups is above the line and is consistent with a small number of sites under positive (diversifying selection).  Note that the cloud is more diffuse, indicating more uncertainty in estimates of alpha and beta.  However, it is rather convincingly beta > alpha.

Given the other plot, I would say that one of your two populations has evidence of a small number of sites under selection, while the other supports no variation among sites in substitution rates.  I would be cautious about over-interpreting these results, however, as sample size may be a serious issue here.

Cheers,
- Art.

IP Logged