Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

GARD: whole vs partial dataset (Read 2362 times)
CrystalH
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

GARD: whole vs partial dataset
Jun 15th, 2011 at 3:37pm

Dear Datamonkey population,
I am using GARD (and SCUEAL but this post is about GARD) to analyze a dataset of ~130 HIV subtype B env sequences from individuals around the globe. When I process the entire dataset through GARD, there are no significantly supported breakpoints, BUT when a look at a distinct subpopulation (~35 taxa from the same geographic location) there are 4-6 breakpoints (depending on p-value I use) that are significantly supported. Alternatively, when I look at the rest of the remaining sequences (~95 taxa) there are 0 statistically supported breakpoints. Am I correct in thinking that when the entire dataset is analyzed that the lack of breakpoints in the 95 taxa dataset "muffles" the signal I see when looking only at the distinct subpopulation? Or could there be an ascertainment bias where breakpoints are more likely to be found in a smaller dataset? Thank you!

-Crystal  Cool

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: GARD: whole vs partial dataset
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 9:01pm

Hi Crystal,

Your intuition about "muffling" the signal is correct: see Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged