Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

NucModelCompare Problem (Read 2058 times)
William
YaBB Newbies

Curious HyPhy user

NucModelCompare Problem
Apr 9th, 2012 at 2:35am

I'm trying to perform a SLAC analysis using an optimised nucleotide substitution model, following sections 2.3.7 and 2.6.2 in the "Estimating Selection Pressures" document supplied with the HyPhy installation.

Using the file InfluenzaA_H3_Random35.nex, I can create an optimised model and save it via ‘Analysis > Results >
Save Results > Export Analysis’. On running QuickSelectionDetection.bf with the parameters given in section 2.6.1, however, the analysis fails immediately after selecting 'single ancestor counting' with the message 'Can't create empty trees' (message log attached).

Looking inside the exported analysis results from the first step, I can see a tree and what appears to be the optimised model data added during the analysis, but I suspect I'm missing a step that will make this accessible to the SLAC analysis.

Would be grateful for any help

William

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login (0 KB | 2 )

IP Logged

William
YaBB Newbies

Curious HyPhy user

Re: NucModelCompare Problem
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 1:23pm

I've managed to get this to work now, by comparing the model output from nucmodelcompare.bf with a model saved from quickselectiondetection.bf.

In order to make the model from nucmodelcompare.bf acceptable to quickselectiondetection.bf, the names of three variables in the model file need to be changed:

tr to givenTree
m to NucleotideMatrix
pi to overallFrequencies

Once all references to these variables are changed in the model file, the SLAC analysis runs through without problems.

I don't know whether this is a bug or whether I am missing a step, but given that the content of the file works apparently correctly with only the variable names needing to be changed, I suspect it's a bug. At any rate maybe this info will help someone else Smiley

Regards

William

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: NucModelCompare Problem
Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 2:32pm

Hi William,

It is a bug:) We are in the middle of a massive code-base overhaul with HyPhy at the moment, so things like that do happen. Thanks for your patience and sorry for the hassle.

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged