Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Questions about Branch site REL (Read 2559 times)
JB
YaBB Newbies

Curious HyPhy user

Questions about Branch site REL
Feb 7th, 2013 at 1:23pm

Hi,

I have two questions about Branch site REL:

1.  I know this has been asked before, but I want to make sure I understand the answer.  I plan to use Branch site REL for analysis of a number of genes across a group of species.  Am I better of giving my own tree for the analysis based on a well supported species phylogeny (derived from many genes), or is it better to let Datamonkey compute a tree for each specific gene just based on the gene sequences I provide, in which case I might have different trees for different genes?  I do not know for sure that all the gene trees will be the same as the species tree (which is well supported).

2.  Does power to detect selection increase by including more species in the analysis?  Specifically, in this case there are two major clades (Sophophora and Drosophila).  Divergence within each clade is not great, but divergence between the clades is quite large.  Would I be better off just including sequences from the clade containing the species I'm interested in, or is it always better to include as many as I can (assuming I can align the sequences confidently)? 

Thanks so much for your help.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Questions about Branch site REL
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 9:59am

Hi JB,

1). I would use the species tree. Datamonkey builds quick and dirty trees -- they don't make that much of a difference for site-by-site analyses, but could influence branch-specific inference.
2). I would start by just including the sequences of interest. Adding more closely related species is not really going to boost the power to detect selection on the lineages of interest too much.

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

JB
YaBB Newbies

Curious HyPhy user

Re: Questions about Branch site REL