Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Calculating dN/dS for codon positions with an alignment (Read 3820 times)
O_evo
YaBB Newbies

Curious HyPhy user

USA
Calculating dN/dS for codon positions with an alignment
Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:56am

I have a nucleotide alignment that I would want to calculate dn/ds ratios for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd codon positions separately. I would like to know if there is a tool to perform this analysis.

I extracted the codon positions from the nucleotide alignment using DNAsp and saved it in nexus format but when I upload into datamonkey, I get an error message saying my sequence has stop codons. It seems like datamonkey is reading the file as codons instead of individual codon positions. Is there a functionality for datamonkey or any tool to read codon positions from a nucleotide alignment and perform dn/ds ratio analysis on each codon position?

I need help. Thanks.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Calculating dN/dS for codon positions with an alignment
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 11:39am

Hi there,

dN/dS is defined for codon data  -- you cannot calculate it for individual codon positions [perhaps you were thinking of something like the SRD06 model in BEAST? Those would be nucleotide rates]. Please take a look at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login to review how dN/dS calculations work.

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged