Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

open data/tree file dialogs (Read 2746 times)
dmerl
YaBB Newbies

open data/tree file dialogs
Apr 11th, 2005 at 9:27pm

how does hyphy determine which data/tree files are hyphy-readable?  in os x, my alignment and tree files never show up as valid when the dialog boxes are set to "All Readable Documents", but when I change the setting to "All Documents", the file opens ok.

thanks,
dan

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: open data/tree file dialogs
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 12:04am

Dear Dan,

Quote:
how does hyphy determine which data/tree files are hyphy-readable?

Since HyPhy is a Carbon application (which still has a good old Mac OS classic .rsrc file), it simply has a list of creator codes (.TTXT etc - mostly text files) - this determines what is selectable in the file dialog box. BBEdit, CodeWarrior, TextEdit etc documents should all be readable.

Internally, HyPhy opens everything as a text file, and based on the mode (whether the user is opening a batch file, data file, tree file etc, as selected via File->Open->) parses the contents accordingly.

I have been meaning to have file open dialogs default to 'All Files', but last time I checked it, I couldn't find the flag in Apple's Navigation services API to do it.

Sorry for the nuisance, but in the meantime one is forced to select the option to show all files in the navigation box manually.

What application made the files you are trying to open?

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

dmerl
YaBB Newbies

Re: open data/tree file dialogs
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 10:16am

I think most of my alignment files were made in emacs, or via perl scripts for converting one formatting to another, so they likely don't have os x creator codes.  so that would explain it.

thanks,
dan

IP Logged