Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

build.sh on linux (Read 4432 times)
dmerl
YaBB Newbies

build.sh on linux
Apr 12th, 2005 at 4:21pm

I'm trying to build a shell version of hyphy in linux, but for some reason the version of gcc on this machine doesn't like the -fnonnull-objects flag.  I modified the build.sh script so that the source files compiled with gcc (as opposed to g++) have a different set of compiler flags, namely all the default ones except for -fnonnull-objects.  It compiles fine this way, and the binary seems to run fine, but since i don't know what -fnonnull-objects does, I wanted to make sure that it wasn't something crucial.

best,
Dan

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: build.sh on linux
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 4:27pm

Dear Dan,

Quote:
It compiles fine this way, and the binary seems to run fine, but since i don't know what -fnonnull-objects does, I wanted to make sure that it wasn't something crucial.

-fnonull-objects is an optimization flag (I think it may now be deprecated) which doesn't really affect anything. I'll remove it from the build script for the future - thanks for pointing this out.

What is your gcc version?

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

dmerl
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 4:32pm

My linux machine has gcc (GCC) 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-49). 

On the other hand, it builds fine with the -fnonnull-objects flag in os x using gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)

And even with the older gcc, it only seems to be a problem with the code compiled with gcc, not the stuff that uses g++.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 4:39pm

Dear Dan,

I've updated the build.sh script to use only non-deprecated flags. I assume that the g++ script simply ignored the flags it didn't recognize and did not pass them on to gcc.

For the Mac I suggest you use the -fast flag in place of all other optimization options (it's a line in build.sh which can be uncommented for Darwin builds), since it's an Apple macro which turns on all platform and CPU specific optimization and tuning flags.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged