Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Clusters - High Performance Computing (Read 3773 times)
swatchpuppy
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Clusters - High Performance Computing
May 21st, 2006 at 6:46am

I'm using openmosix, trying to reduce the time of execution of positive selection analysis, but it didn't work. I’ve tried to compile HYPHY’s source code in all modes possible of Multithreading, and the processes just not multiply.
Are the positive selection analysis not designed to work on clusters, witch tools inside HYPHY are?

The best regards

SwatchPuppy

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Clusters - High Performance Computing
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2006 at 10:09pm

Dear SwatchPuppy,

You are probably looking for the HyPhy MPI version (which runs in a distributed environment, i.e. clusters).

Depending on your system (I am not familiar with openmosix, we use Scyld Beowulf and IBM's LoadLeveler), you should be able to invoke an MPI run of HyPhy on multiple processors. Their is a test file (MPITest.bf) in the BatchFiles directory that you can use to see if HyPhy is able to use multiple processors, by calling something like:

$mpirun -np xx ./HYPHYMPI BASEPATH=<insert path to HyPhy here> BatchFiles/MPITest.bf

FEL analyses will take advantage of MPI builds, so do REL analyses (with the MPIOPTIMIZER flag passed to HyPhy at start time).

Take a look at some of the other messages on the forum dealing with the specifics of the analyses.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Simon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2006 at 4:46pm

Dear SwatchPuppy and Sergei,

I looked into openMOSIX a while back, but never really played around with it as it requires patching the kernel, and I didn't have a spare Linux box hanging around. It's basically allows threads to migrate across processors, which is cool. Perhaps we could install on one of our spare PCs?

Best
Simon

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 6:42pm

Dear SwatchPuppy,

I didn't realize that openMOSIX was an SMP emulator. Try compiling with MP2 option and then calling

$HYPHYMP CPU=n

where 'n' is the number of threads you want to spawn. Most likelihood optimizations will try to take advantage of mutliple nodes, but the performance hits may be severe for network communications in openMOSIX because granularity of threads in HyPhy is fairly high (each thread does a little work).

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

swatchpuppy
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 3:44am

Sergei,

Thanks very much for the help, I will try to work with openmosix for now since I have already have it running, but in a near future I will try to install an open MPI cluster, hoping it will work.

Thanks again

Carlos Família

IP Logged

swatchpuppy
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 6:27pm

Sergei,

I was trying to start an MPI cluster with LAM/MPI, it worked on compiling when i changed the gcc and g++ compilers to mpicc and mpic++, as well as removed the -lmpi flag on MPI link from the build.sh and gtk_build.sh.

The HYPHYMPI is working perfectly, but the GTK version is giving me this output:

One of the processes started by mpirun has exited with a nonzero exit
code.  This typically indicates that the process finished in error.
If your process did not finish in error, be sure to include a "return
0" or "exit(0)" in your C code before exiting the application.

PID 15612 failed on node n0 (192.168.0.13) due to signal 8.

Even if i only boot one node (the master). Can you give-me a hint?

Thanks in advance

Carlos Família

IP Logged

Art Poon
Global Moderator

Feed your monkey!

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 3:33pm

Dear Carlos,

We've recently tried to compile the GTK version of HYPHYMPI on our own cluster, but ran into the same problem.  There seems to be some bug in window rendering that chokes up the system.  I'm afraid I haven't delved through the GTK source code in the HYPHY package yet, but I think Sergei gets back next week and I'm sure he can provide you with better info.  Sorry Undecided

- Art.

IP Logged