Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

TestBranchDNDS (Read 1789 times)
luli

TestBranchDNDS
Sep 20th, 2006 at 7:54am

Hi,

I wanna test if a couple of branchs have higher dN/dS ratios in the context of gene families evolution. So, I am using the standard analysis TestBranchDNDS.bf. But I guess I do not fully undestand how to interpret the output: I run it  using different site-to-site variation models and amino acid class models and I got very high dN/dS values for the branch I am testing when the analysis is running both the null hypothesis and the alternative one and then the LTR is not significant.
My sense is that the alternative hypothesis cover the model of the branch I am testing evolving faster, am I rigth?
So could you tell me if this analysis is suited for the hypothesis I wanna test and how to interpret the results.
A more general question is if it is biologically meaningful to test gene families evolution using dNdS models...I'd like to have you opinion and also if you have some literature to suggest me about this topic.
Thanks a lot?
luli

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: TestBranchDNDS
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 8:59pm

Dear Luli,

TestBranchDNDS.bf tests whether the branches you choose has different dN/dS ratios from the rest of the tree (all branches in the rest of the tree are assumed to have the same ratio). The null hypothesis is that all branches are the same, and the alternative is that the ones you selected a priori are different. One possibility for your results is that the entire tree is (on average) under strong positive selection, and letting your branches have their own rates does improve the fit much. Could you perhaps paste the output here, so that I could see if that is a good possibility? Another way to check is to run AnalyzeCodonData.bf analysis using a local codon model (i.e. estimating dN and dS separately for all branches) and seeing if most of the dN/dS ratios in that model are > 1.

One can indeed construct meaningful evolutionary tests for gene families using dN/dS (or codon in general) models. Take a look at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login for some ideas on tests to be done in a similar setting.

Did you have anything in particular you wanted to test?

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged