Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

GA says branch assignments = 0? (Read 1746 times)
Sarah
Ex Member

GA says branch assignments = 0?
Sep 20th, 2006 at 8:29pm

I'm trying to run a GA locally. My input is:

5 branch categories
Universal code
Use codon file in nxs format (saved as complete data+partition+tree in HyPhy; running with ~26 sequences)
No site-to-site rate variation
012340 substitution model
Use tree included in codon file (this tree has branch lengths, which were read fine by HyPhy)

BranchSelector.bf was unchanged. The program took 7 CPU hours (28 processors). I ran ResultProcessor.bf and saw that all the branches had 0% above them and one apparent rate class. In the plain output file (not .cAIC or .samples) the branch assignments are zero also. I can't figure out what about my input would cause the problem. Could it be an error in the tree? I checked its structure in HyPhy; it looked fine. The postscript generated has an odd (vertical) branch, or maybe it's an artifact.

Also, in the messages.log file for the first (0th) processor, it says "Using model MG94_Model for definition of [node]." Where can I specify something else?

Any troubleshooting tips would be much appreciated.

Sarah

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: GA says branch assignments = 0?
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 8:40pm

Dear Sarah,

Could you e-mail me the .samples file? My only guess is that the alignment is too short (fewer codons than 2*(sequences) + 18), so that c-AIC can't be computed and the algorithm gets confused.

The MG94 model (+012340 in your case) is hardcoded into the file. Which other models did you want to try? GY94 type models are very similar and can be added easily though.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sarah
Ex Member

Re: GA says branch assignments = 0?
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 9:13pm

I think I'm under the cAIC threshold--there are 328 codons.

MG94 is great. I was just slightly worried when the program 'defaulted' to it with no mention of 012340.

Thanks for the help,
Sarah

IP Logged