Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

GA analysis: New stop after prelim step 2 (Read 2752 times)
Sarah
YaBB Newbies

GA analysis: New stop after prelim step 2
Jan 30th, 2007 at 9:04am

Dear Sergei,

As a convergence/sanity check, I recently tried to repeat a run. I used the same input (213 sequences of 328 codons, 012345). The program ran for a few hours instead of a few days and then terminated. The screen output read:

[Preliminary Step 1] A total of 423 branches. Fitting a nucleotide model to approximate branch lengths...
[Preliminary Step 2] Nucleotide LogL = -8257.96
4 additional processes aborted (not shown)

I can't process the output file (it's empty). The error files are all blank. I'm not sure whether messages.log.mpinode0 might be useful--happy to provide it. The last line is "InitMPIOptimizer:Finished with the setup. Maximum of 429 transferrable parameters."

Any ideas? These same inputs worked before. I was only using a different seed.

Thanks again,
Sarah

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: GA analysis: New stop after prelim step 2
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 9:40am

Dear Sarah,

This is odd; the code dies before the initial codon optimization is performed. Are there any messages in the message.log.mpinode1 (or higher)?

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sarah
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 9:51am

Dear Sergei,

All the other message logs end at the same big block involving synRate, node, given tree. (e.g., ...givenTree.HK68_BI_17938_69.synRate;givenTree.Node419.synRate)

The cluster where I run this hasn't reported any outages.

I'm trying to repeat this error but have to wait in a queue for a while--I'll let you know if the next run gets past this step, but I might not know for a couple of days.

Thanks,
Sarah

p.s. I walked through the messages log for node0 for the successful and unsuccessful run. There's nothing different between them, except that the unsuccessful run's log terminates early. I've sent an email to the cluster admins to confirm that there were no 'sub'outages.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 10:42am

Dear Sarah,

I can run some of the jobs on my cluster for you; we have a fair bit of unused capacity at times...

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sarah
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 6:43am

Dear Sergei,

Thank you for the offer. It looks like maybe there isn't a problem with the code (or it's a rare one!). I ran the program for three hours last night and it reached the GA analysis step before I had it scheduled to end. In the run I described above, it actually only ran for 41 min (walltime) and of course never reached the GA step.

I'll let you know if I run into this problem again, and I'll hopefully have a few more hypotheses to work with.

Thanks again,
Sarah

IP Logged