Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

dnds between brach tree (Read 1633 times)
celine
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

dnds between brach tree
Feb 27th, 2007 at 7:12am

Dear Sergei,
I would like to study the evolution of a multigene family. I know that this gene evolve under positive selection but I think that given the lineages the selection is not the same.
I would like to test if there is different kind of selection in the different branches of my gene tree. I have done two kind of analysis. The first was to make a test branch DnDs and I have positive result (that’s it the selection is not the same for all branches) with branches evolving under strong positive selection and other evolving under purifying selection. The other analysis consist in estimating a dn and ds value for each branch of the tree, and the value given by this analysis (I think that these values are dn and ds estimations but I am not really sure) are closed to 0. Given the result done by the first analysis I don’t understand anything.
I think that I don’t understand something between these two analysis or in the second but I don’t know what.
So if you could help me...
Thank you in advance for your help
Celine

IP Logged

Art Poon
Global Moderator

Feed your monkey!

Re: dnds between brach tree
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 2:13pm

Dear Celine,

Yikes!  I'm sorry that your post went unanswered for so long --- we (as in Sergei) like to reply to posts within the second day or so.

It sounds like you have some idea a priori where positive selection is occurring in your tree, given that you've applied TestBranchDnDs.bf to your data.  I'm also assuming that you used our GA branch-specific selection server at Datamonkey for the second analysis.  In that case, the reported values for each branch should correspond to "omega" (dN/dS).  If not, then it would help if I knew which batch file you used for the second analysis.  Also, the analyses may differ in handling site-by-site rate variation, depending on your settings --- that might explain your discrepancy.

Hope to hear from you soon,
- Art.

IP Logged