Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Relative rates - local or global clock (Read 2461 times)
jess
YaBB Newbies

Australia
Relative rates - local or global clock
Apr 1st, 2007 at 6:00pm

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with what is probably a simple problem: I am wanting to carry out a relative rates test on three sequences (sp1, sp2 and outgroup), but am not sure which clock to choose- global or molecular? When i specify local, i end up with a very significant p value, but when i use global i do not. I am simply interested in whether there is significant rate variation between my two species branches - i havent come across clock choice in relative rate tests before - which should i use to get this information (ie which p value is applicable to me)?

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me!

Thank you, Jess.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Relative rates - local or global clock
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 11:25am

Dear Jess,

There is a special analysis for doing relative rate tests in HyPhy (under the Relative Rate rubrik in standard analysis). Please use that analysis for relative rate testing.

A relative rate test is effectively a local molecular clock on the (sp1,sp2) clade of the 3-taxon (out,(sp1,sp2)). When you test for a global molecular clock in this situation, you will not be able to distinguish between rate variation in the outgroup and the (sp1, sp2) clade.

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

jess
YaBB Newbies

Australia
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 5:31pm

Dear Sergei,

Thank you for your reply, I'm sorry, I didn't specify - I was using the relative rates test in HyPhy, but the fourth option (I think) you have to specify whether you want to choose a local or global (or global with rate variation) clock, and I wasn't sure which option to choose. I've looked through the documentation, but haven't found anything that explains this (if I've just missed it, please feel free to forward me to it!) nor have I come across it in other relative rate test programs  - I assume its because this relative rate test uses likelihood so needs a model of sequence evolution? Similarly, when you choose the local clock option, you then need to specify how many parameters you want. What do these refer to? Are they for numbers of branches or other parameters (rate categories for example?) and what should I choose for the relative rate test I'm doing? Sorry for all the questions, I'm a little confused!

Thank you for your help,

Jess

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 5:59pm

Dear Jess,

Ah - your question makes sense now. HyPhy, unlike most other programs is capable of estimating multiple parameter per branch. For instance, if you have the HKY85 nucleotide model, each branch can have two parameters - the transition rate and the transversion rate (c.f. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login). The local model will estimate these two rates separately for each branch, and then you can test for relative rates only on transition rates (this option is offered by the 'which parameters to constrain dialog'). This makes more biological sense when you use codon models - with the local option you can test relative rates on synonymous rates, non-synonymous rates or both.

Global models on the other hand avail you of the standard parameterization - in the case of HKY85 that would mean a single transition/transversion ratio for the entire tree and a single branch length parameter per branch. In this scenario the only parameter you can test is the total branch length.

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged