Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

GARD results interpretation (Read 4932 times)
olorin
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

GARD results interpretation
Apr 26th, 2007 at 10:21pm

Dear Sergei,

I have come across a recent paper which used GARD for recombination detection (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login). The authors were able to detect recombination breakpoints in the genes of interest, but they claimed that the alternate topologies based on the putatively recombinant segments were not statistically supported by the Shimodaira-Hasegawa (SH) test. They then suggested that these potentially recombinant areas might be due to substitution rate variation and not recombination.

They've also made a similar claim in their previous paper (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login).

My questions are:
1. Is it reasonable and appropriate to use the SH test to "verify" the recombination breakpoints detected by GARD? To me, it seems that the SH test is too conservative for this purpose.

2. Indeed, GARD is able to detect "recombination breakpoints" not detected by other programs/ methods. However, could this be due to substitution rate variation, as these authors have claimed?

3. Following the above question, given that GARD seems to be one of the most sensitive recombination detection methods available, do you have any suggestions or ideas on how to "verify" the recombination breakpoints results by GARD?

Many thanks.

Regards,
olorin

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: GARD results interpretation
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 10:34am

Dear olorin,

Quote:
1. Is it reasonable and appropriate to use the SH test to "verify" the recombination breakpoints detected by GARD? To me, it seems that the SH test is too conservative for this purpose.

It is indeed a conservative check, but then again one always has to balance between power and accuracy.

Quote:
2. Indeed, GARD is able to detect "recombination breakpoints" not detected by other programs/ methods. However, could this be due to substitution rate variation, as these authors have claimed?

Not likely, unless they used a poor model (e.g. disallowing site-to-site rate variation). You can actually check for this using the GARD postprocessor file - it fits the same tree to all putatively recombinant fragments, but allows branch lengths to vary - this gives you a null model of rate variation to test against as well.

Quote:
3. Following the above question, given that GARD seems to be one of the most sensitive recombination detection methods available, do you have any suggestions or ideas on how to "verify" the recombination breakpoints results by GARD?

In the GARD paper we did a number of simulations to that effect - the breakpoints are usually quite accurate without any additional verification (but one should use model averaged breakpoint locations to incorporate the noise).

One can easily eliminate rate variation by using a sufficiently general model.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

olorin
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2007 at 8:49pm

Dear Sergei,

Thanks. Your reply is most helpful. I will put further thoughts in this matter.

olorin

IP Logged

gregonomic
YaBB Newbies

I know perfectly well
I'm not where I should
be.

Cambridge, UK
Reply #3 - May 16th, 2007 at 8:54am

I'm a bit confused. In your Mol Biol Evol, 2006, 23(10):1891-1901 paper, under the 'Biological Data Analyses' section, you say:

Quote:
"Thirteen other genes were classified as recombinant by AICc alone, indicating the possibility of Type 1 or 2 recombination events or perhaps the inadequacy of the model for character substitution but did not have strong evidence of phylogenetic discordance. This suggests that another process (such as space-localized selection or substitution rate variation) could be affecting branch lengths of the phylogeny along the sequence."

Please clarify.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2007 at 9:34am

Dear Gregonomic,

Traditional rate variation along the sequence (i.e. the kind that affects all branches in the tree) can be easily modeled with existing models (e.g. gamma rate variation); one can however imagine a more involved process where only parts of the tree are affected by rate/model variation (e.g. heterotachy) - if enough branches are involved, or if the variation shortens some branches and lengthens others at a given site, then the method can be confused.

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

gregonomic
YaBB Newbies

I know perfectly well
I'm not where I should
be.

Cambridge, UK
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2007 at 2:21am

Thanks Sergei.

So, technically, they weren't wrong when they said the supposed recombination might have been an artifact of "substitution rate variation", they just weren't as specific as they could/should have been?

They don't say anything about the number or length of putative recombination fragments, so it's hard to know whether olorin's suggestion (ie. that there isn't enough phylogenetic signal for the SH test to pick up the recombination) is correct.

A related question: does the GARD post-processor run a KH or SH test? Is the SH test considered more rigorous?

Greg.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #6 - May 17th, 2007 at 8:14am

Dear Greg,

You are quite right in saying that there exist substitution rate variation scenarios which may confuse any recombination detection method: e.g. convergent evolution along a sequence region can be considered one of them (i.e. changes in substitution rates which modify the nature, not just the speed, of the substitution process). That said, in recombination detection literature, 'rate variation' is usually assumed to be the typical site-to-site rate variation (e.g. in the Posada/Crandall PNAS simulation paper). I should have been more specific in the GARD paper discussion and qualified substitution rate variation Smiley

SH and KH tests are identical when only two fixed trees are involved - sorry for loose terminology on my part.

Going back to the JVI paper; it's indeed difficult to verify the claims not having the data at hand; however, really short or low sequence divergence fragments that do not support any phylogeny particularly well (i.e. have similar likelihood scores on a number of phylogenies) also will not likely be the primary contributors to the c-AIC improvement, i.e. if there had been any strong c-AIC derived signal, it would have likely come from fragments that support a particular type of phylogeny.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged