Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Switching from PAML (Read 2048 times)
Andrew_Roth
YaBB Newbies

Switching from PAML
May 29th, 2007 at 7:38pm

I've been doing some positive selection analysis with PAML and I am finding it is not scaling well as I add more species. I have been using the branch models in PAML but it seems to slow down to a crawl with larger data sets (50+ species, 600+ codons).

I am wondering how well HYPHY does with larger data sets, I am using a Intel core duo which PAML can't really take full advantage of. Are there any articles comparing the two programs running similar models? I am curious to find out if HYPHY and PAML return the same results when running the same models. I would also like to know how well HYPHY does when using computers with more cores and when using clusters.

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Switching from PAML
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2007 at 7:53pm

Dear Andrew,

Firstly, I would encourage you to look over the book chapter on selection using HyPhy that we recently wrote (http://www.hyphy.org/pubs/hyphybook2007.pdf) to see what HyPhy does and how it is similar/different from PAML. HyPhy includes a couple of analyses which could run exactly the same models as PAML, but also a much larger set of tools which is methodologically different from PAML (this is also discussed in the chapter). We also have an online server for some of the selection analyses at www.datamonkey.org. A long time ago I verified that when the same models are used (e.g. M8), HyPhy and PAML do return the same results (within a few decimal places anyway).

Some of the analyses are designed to be very fast (e.g. SLAC), and some are rather intensive (e.g. those which use genetic algorithms).

HyPhy is multithreaded and will try to take advantage of all available cores in an SMP system. On sufficiently large codon datasets I am able to load all 8 cores in my dual-quad Mac system. HyPhy can also take advantage of an MPI cluster for a large number of analyses - especially those which do the same task repeatedly (simulations or site-by-site fitting would be good examples).

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged