Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

REL analysis with or without recombination test (Read 1776 times)
Dieter
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

REL analysis with or without recombination test
Sep 18th, 2007 at 2:36pm

Dear Sergei,

I am interested in finding sites under positive selection in 7 aligned autologous nef sequences derived from patients before and after therapeutic vaccination with HIV-nef.
Analysis with REL and the recommended codon substitution model HKY85 yielded 10 positively selected and 1 negatively selected site in the post vax sequences with a significance level of 50. The prevax alignment with also 7 seqences resulted in no positively selected site but 9 sites under negative selection. I have taken taken that as a pretty strong indication of positive selection linked to the vaccination.

However, I reanalyzed the sequences using GARD. Now the post-vax alignment resulted in evidence for 3 breakpoints, whereas the pre-vax sequences yielded 2 breakpoints. I analyzed the GARD output files directly in Datamonkey using analogue settings (REL; HKY85) to the first evaluation (without testing for recombination) . Post-vax  (4 partitions) yielded no positively selected sites and one negative selection. Pre vax alignments (3 partitions) resulted in positive selection at 2 codons and 12 instances of negative selection.
I am not sure how to deal with this discrepancy. Are 7 aligned sequences too few for such an analysis? How could I further strengthen our data?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Dieter

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: REL analysis with or without recombination tes
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 2:46pm

Dear Dieter,

Generally speaking, there is little power (unless you have high divergence, more that you would in same subtype HIV, although NEF could be quite diverse indeed) to detect individual sites under selection with 7 sequences. You could try running PARRIS on datamonkey.org to see if there is evidence of selection somewhere in your sequences.

In terms of the effect of recombination, check two things:

1). What was the c-AIC improvement using GARD over the no-recombination model? A value of about 10 or more is significant, anything less is borderline.
2). Did the dN/dS distribution (values of dS and dN for each rate class and relative class weights) change much with and without GARD? If it did, then recombination was influential, if not - then the difference in inferred sites is probably due to small data size and noise.

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dieter
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: REL analysis with or without recombination tes
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 2:50pm

Dear Sergei,

Thanks for the information!

A brieg summary of the tests you suggested:
PARRIS has not yielded any indicaton of selection.

The c-AIC improvement  in GARD (column were 9,1 with one recomb. site, and 7,6 for 2 and 3 reomb. sites, respectively.

The dN/dS distribution hasn't changed much between analysis with or without GARD.
With only 1 partition (no GARD screening) there are 2 out of the 9 sites with dN/dS >1. With previous GARD screening only one rate combination yields dN/dS > 1.

Here there's no indication for positive selection

Seems like the results are not clear-cut and stable because of the low number of sequences...

Thanks again,

Dieter

IP Logged