Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

datamonkey parris vs hyphy parris (Read 5095 times)
sunilkalmadi
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

datamonkey parris vs hyphy parris
Feb 8th, 2008 at 6:44am

Dears,

i have certain questions on parris usage in hyphy as well as datamonkey...i kindly request you to answer them

1. Would you recommend or discourage using parris as preliminary test for   
    selecting candidate genes for further site wise selection analysis?

2. Is there is way to know whether parris has detected and used any   
    recombination breakpoint in its analysis?

3. I get different phylogenetic tree topology when same alligned CDS data is   
    analysed on datamonkey and on local hyphy(maximum likelihood   
    method>MG94>global>total branch length),both using NJ method? Though this is   
    said to have very little effect on results, i would like to know the reason   
    for this difference(does datamonkey use star phylogeny)? 

4. While running parris on datamonkey the selected nucleotide model changes in   
    the final step e.g. 012230 becomes 012240,010020 becomes 010040..why does this   
    happen? 

5. For parris result carried on datamonkey.. i consistently get p value of 1   
    and hence accepting the null hypothesis..LRT close to 0, both models having   
    almost same likelihood value..my 13 sequence alignments seem to be proper..   
    why does this happen?

6. What is the setting for parris on hyphy to be same as one on datamonkey?ei   
    rate variation model = constant/proportional/dual/non-syn? 
    it uses codon model or nucleotide model for branch length estimation?
    whether the distribution is 'parris'? 

7. Would you enligthen me a bit on analysing parris results in hyphy?

8. Whether GA branch method is applicable for mammalian sequences to detect   
    When did the selection occur(temporal model)? Does it make assumption of uniform 
    background as in hyphy  TestBranchDNDS.bf?

Does CompartmentalizationSelectionLRT.bf makes the same assumption of uniform   
    background with respect to selected clade?

9. Whether spatial rate variation obtained from SlidingWindowAnalysis.bf can be   
    extrapolated for protein structure analysis with respect to positive selected   
    regions in polypeptide chain?

thanking you,
    regards,
    sunil

IP Logged

sunilkalmadi
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Re: datamonkey parris vs hyphy parris
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 8:15am

Dears,
I understand that reason for my questions not being answered is probably that i am shooting irrelevant or too many questions.. i am sorry.. Undecided  Undecided  Undecided i shall be obliged if  authors could direct me to link containing information of parris result intrepretation on hyphy.. i have gone through Scheffler etal paper in bioinformatics journal..  i understand M1a  and M2a stands for nearly neutral and selection model.. now whether we are supposed to run LRT seperately on these models?(datamonkey does LRT by default..what about hyphy?) or just decide best fit based on AIC values??

Thanks a lot

Regards,
Sunil

IP Logged

konrad

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 10:58am

Dear Sunil,

Your questions have just been pointed out to me - I'll try to answer the ones relating to PARRIS below.

Hope this helps,
Konrad Scheffler

---------------------

Quote:
1. Would you recommend or discourage using parris as preliminary test for    
    selecting candidate genes for further site wise selection analysis?  

Yes, that is the idea. PARRIS (the downloadable version for HyPhy) also does sitewise selection analysis, although the DataMonkey version does not.

Quote:
2. Is there is way to know whether parris has detected and used any    
    recombination breakpoint in its analysis?  

PARRIS does not scan for recombination - you need to feed it the recombination breakpoints as detected using a breakpoint detection program. Currently, the easiest way to do this is to use GARD and send its output to PARRIS. This is easy to do on DataMonkey, and the HyPhy version also accepts GARD output.

Quote:

I don't know - hopefully Sergei can answer this. I would be wary of incorrect topologies, after all recombination effectively causes false positives by messing up the topology.

Quote:
    happen?

Could be a bug - Sergei?

Quote:
5. For parris result carried on datamonkey.. i consistently get p value of 1    
    and hence accepting the null hypothesis..LRT close to 0, both models having    
    almost same likelihood value..my 13 sequence alignments seem to be proper..    
    why does this happen?  

This means that the alignment does not contain significant evidence for positive selection. I.e. after taking account of recombination breakpoints (if specified) and the fact that synonymous rates may vary (which can also be an artefact of recombination), there is no need to assume presence of positive selection in order to explain the data. This does not mean that positive selection is necessarily absent, but it does mean that you do not have enough evidence to infer its presence.

Quote:
6. What is the setting for parris on hyphy to be same as one on datamonkey?ei    
    rate variation model = constant/proportional/dual/non-syn?  

dual

Quote:

I assume Sergei implemented it to use the nucleotide model.

Quote:

I assume you are asking where in the distribution PARRIS is: it's in the folder Contributions/Possel_in_recomb/

Quote:
7. Would you enligthen me a bit on analysing parris results in hyphy?  

You need to be more specific with your question. PARRIS writes many results; hopefully some/most of them are self-explanatory.

Quote:
now whether we are supposed to run LRT seperately on these models?(datamonkey does LRT by default..what about hyphy?) or just decide best fit based on AIC values??

The HyPhy script also does the LRT automatically - p-values are reported in the result files. If you prefer you can use the AIC instead - both methodologies should be valid in this case.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

sunilkalmadi
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 12:08pm

Dear Konrad Scheffler,

Thanks a lot... it was very helpful..
and thanks for this great methodology 'PARRIS'...
i would also like to thank Sergei for his help..

regards
sunil

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 3:07pm

Dear Sunil,

Quote:

Different distance metric => different tree.
Datamonkey uses TN93, which is nucleotide based.

Quote:
    happen?

012230 is equivalent to 012240, so are the other two. I believe this has already been addressed in an earlier post: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

Quote:

I assume Sergei implemented it to use the nucleotide model.

Correct assumption.

Quote:

I assume you are asking where in the distribution PARRIS is: it's in the folder Contributions/Possel_in_recomb/

It is under the Selection/Recombination rubrik in Standard Analyses; I moved it from Contributions about 6 months ago.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

sunilkalmadi
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!