Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

missing "Additional Information" column (Read 3650 times)
ben
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

missing "Additional Information" column
Oct 29th, 2008 at 10:27am

Dear Dr. Sergei Kosakovsky Pond,

I have two questions when analysing data on DataMonkey server:

(1). I run FEL/IFEL on DataMonkey server. But, "Addditional Information" column is missing on the positive selected sites table (the results page). Browsers I used are IE 7.0 and Safari

(2). How to choose P values : 0.05? (based on the paper "Adaption to Different Human Populations by HIV-1 Revealed by codon-Based Analyses")

Thanks!

Ben

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: missing "Additional Information" column
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 2:07pm

Dear Ben,

It is not explicitly documented, but you need to have SLAC results for the additional information column to be generated; run SLAC first (to get ancestral sequences and such) and then FEL/IFEL. I will update the documentation to reflect this - thanks for pointing out this issue.

As far as p-values go: use 0.05 if you have > 50-70 sequences and 0.1 for fewer sequences. FEL/IFEL are conservative for smaller alignments so the nominal value of p=0.1 will actually result in lower false positives; at least that's the case in all the simulations we have done.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ben
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 7:26am

Dear Sergei,

Thank you very much! I will do it as you suggested! 

One more question:

I want to compare two populations in terms of positive selection sites. Based on your paper "Adaptation to different human populations by HIV-1 revealved by codon-based analysis", you identified six codons in RT (82, 98, 165, 177, 196, and 202) as selected differentially in the two populations at p< 0.05 (see Table 2).  my questoin is the calculation of "Different" on table 2 can be done on DataMonkey server? If yes, how to...  If not, any suggestion?

Thanks!

Ben

IP Logged

ben
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 11:17am

Dear Sergei,

I am still waiting for your response! I have two populations with 70 sequences for each one. I try to test if these two populations are selected differentially at P < 0.05. Can I do this on DataMonkey server. If not, what is suggestion?

In fact, I check PyPhy package, and  find "compareSelectivePressureIVL.bf" under a standard analysis. But, I can't find instruction for how to do it!

Thanks!

Ben

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 6:48pm

Dear Ben,

Datamonkey.org does not handle the comparison analysis, but HyPhy does. Please examine section 2.7.1 of Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login for detailed instructions of how to do this.

Best,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ben
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!