Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Reoptimization after removal of Constraint (Read 1070 times)
timo
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reoptimization after removal of Constraint
Nov 9th, 2009 at 3:31am

So I have created an LRT using hyphy which obviously requires two separate models be optimized and then compared. The problem is that the alternative model (fewer constraints) always seems to come out with a lower likelihood than the null. I optimize and then use ClearConstraints to change the null into the alternative model. When I check parameter starting values for the alternative they are the same before and after the clear constraint. Shouldn't the null optimized values be the starting point for the second optimization and therefore a negative LRT not possible? Now in this case the null value for some of the parameters is not possible in the alternative model but it is set to be very very close (difference of 0.0001) and under other simulations I know this to not be a huge change in likelihood (-0.1 at min). I have included the test simulated data and script. This is an example script that emphasizes the problem.

So my overall question is, is there a way to eliminate negative LRT's (at least to the -0.1 level) or am I doing something wrong? I hope that makes sense. Thanks for any help.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login (3 KB | )

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Reoptimization after removal of Constraint
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 4:10am

Dear Timo,

If you insert the statement

Code:
USE_LAST_RESULTS = 1;

before calling Optimize the second time, HyPhy will keep the current parameter values (from the NULL) model, otherwise it will try to "guess" parameter values from various heuristics (which only work reasonably well for nucleotide data, but not so much for other types). Because the HyPhy optimizer is greedy, a bad initial guess can lead to poor optimization results for "complex" models.

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged