YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

gabranch (Read 3287 times)
Lauro
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

gabranch
Jan 18th, 2010 at 2:46pm

I have a question. I am working with a set of vesicular stomatitis sequences, I performed SLAC , IFEL, FEL and I did not find a signal of positive selection only negative, however when I tried with Gabranch I got some branches with dn/ds more than 1.00. How must I interpret this results? As a positive selection only at population level?

Thank you for your Help,

Lauro.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login (4 KB | )

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: gabranch
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 12:39pm

Hi Lauro,

SLAC/IFEL/FEL test for selection at a site averaging over all branches. Hence, if you have positive selection only on a few lineages in a big tree, the signal will be diluted by the other branches. GABranch tests for selection at a branch, averaging over all sites. Your finding simply suggests that the sequence in your sample have undergone episodic diversifying selection along some lineages.

Best,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Lauro
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Re: gabranch
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 2:39pm

Thank you Sergei for your comments.
I am analyzing a set of sequences of VSV from different parts of Mexico, typically is say that VSV evolves over positive selective pressure but I am finding that negative is maybe more important. Other authors have used this site to calculate dN/d/S (SNAP/README) based on Nei and Gojobori (1986) method and they have find high values of positive selection. If I analyze my data in that web server I get the same. Could you tell me some differences between the use of this method and your methods.

2.- Based on the results by your methods could I conclude that negative selection plays a more important roll that positive. (my sample size is 138 from 5 years)

Thank you
Sincerely,
Lauro.

Sergei wrote on Jan 19th, 2010 at 12:39pm:
Hi Lauro,

SLAC/IFEL/FEL test for selection at a site averaging over all branches. Hence, if you have positive selection only on a few lineages in a big tree, the signal will be diluted by the other branches. GABranch tests for selection at a branch, averaging over all sites. Your finding simply suggests that the sequence in your sample have undergone episodic diversifying selection along some lineages.

Best,
Sergei

IP Logged