Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

ancestral reconstruction (Read 2121 times)
minou
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

ancestral reconstruction
Feb 2nd, 2010 at 10:09pm

Hi,

I am a very new user of HyPhy, and I would like to perform an analysis which can reconstruct the ancestral states of a given set of sequences.
I wrote a batch file which consists of opening the alignment, assigning a tree topology and a substitution matrix, and builds and otpimizes the likelihood function. Then, I expected to get the states of each internal node by using the command ReconstructAncestors, but instead I get the following output:
    6 species:{Node1,Node2,Node3,Node7,Node9,Node12};
    Total Sites:1;
    Distinct Sites:1
Could you please help me to know what is ReconstructAncestors command doing exactly? and Is there a way in Hyphy to make appear the states of all the internal nodes?

Thanks

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: ancestral reconstruction
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 10:20pm

Hi Minou,

ReconstructAncestors returns a DataSet which has a very minimal printing functionality. Without getting into the details of HyPhy batch language, I would suggest that you first give Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login a try; one of the analyses implemented on the site is ancestral state reconstruction (ASR).

Let me know if this helps. If you need to implement ReconstructAncestors in a pipeline, I'll send you relevant code fragments.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

minou
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 5:49am

Hi Sergei,

Thanks for the very quick answer. I looked at the ASR implemented on datamonkey site, but I think it cannot help me a lot since it accepts only nucleotide characters as input data. Though, my sequences are made of 0 and1. It would be so great if you can send me some relevant code fragments which can output the states of each internal node.

Thanks

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 11:12am

Hi Minou,

Have you tried going through the GUI? Follow the steps of Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login (you can load binary 0-1 data), and when you have fitted the model, try 'Data->Ancestrors' menu.

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged